Toshiba REGZA 47HL167

bladerunner0427
New User

Dec 28, 2010, 9:58 PM

Post #1 of 14 (8189 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba REGZA 47HL167 Can't Post

Hello everyone,
My tv screen went blank a couple days before Christmas. I had the tv diagnosed as was told that the inverter boards needed to be replaced. I bought the master and slave inverters from shopjimmy.com. I opened up the tv and inserted the new boards. I still do not get a picture. There is sound. When I shine a light to the screen, I can see images and the menu screens. My guess is that it's not the inverter boards that is causing the problem. I don't have equipment to test the ccfls to see if they turn on or not. The only other thing I can think of is that the inverter boards are not getting the signal to turn on the ccfl's. I believe that is the logic board. But not sure. Any suggestions? Thank you.

pmits
New User

Dec 29, 2010, 4:16 AM

Post #2 of 14 (8176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bladerunner0427] Toshiba REGZA 47HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the exact same TV with the same problem. I just finished replacing the inveters and still no backlight. I do see video in the dark with a flashlight and get sound. I'm still searching to see what it may be.

bladerunner0427
New User

Dec 29, 2010, 8:12 AM

Post #3 of 14 (8170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pmits] Toshiba REGZA 47HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

I bit the bullet and bought a new TV. Nothing fancy just, a Sony 46" EX5. <br> <br>I'm keeping the Toshiba as a side project. I haven't given up on trying to fix it. I just need more time. However, I can't go on w/o a TV in front of my favorite sofa. Also, I've lost precious time playing Gran Turismo 5. LOL! Anyhow, my next step is to find a ccfl tester. I'm guess that may be the problem. It's also easy to diagnose. I read that if one is bad, then the circuit is broken and the inverters don't respond. Kind of a safety mechanism. So I just have to find a ccfl tester at a reasonable price.

By the way, you don't happen to live in southern California do ya? We just had a week-long rain storm and my apartment had several black/brown outs. Wondering if that may have done something. My cable box, PS3 and audio receiver are fine though so my surge protector did it's job I think.

I've only had the TV for 3 years. I expected it to last a little longer.

Good luck to ya. Keep me posted on your progress.

(This post was edited by bladerunner0427 on Dec 29, 2010, 8:17 AM)

darstr
User

Dec 29, 2010, 1:35 PM

Post #4 of 14 (8162 views)
Shortcut

Crazy If you are still going to work on it, check your 24 volts from the power supply to the inverter. If they are not there then your power supply is at fault. Also, when you turn on the TV do you get backlight for a second and then nothing? Or is it just nothing at all?

bladerunner0427
New User

Dec 30, 2010, 1:24 AM

Post #5 of 14 (8147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Toshiba REGZA 47HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't get a backlight at all when I turn on the TV. How do I check the 24 volts from the power supply to the inverter? I'm guessing I need a multimeter or something?

Thanks!

darstr
User

Dec 30, 2010, 1:37 PM

Post #6 of 14 (8141 views)
Shortcut

Crazy That would be correct. Do you have any electonic experiance? If not, you might want to leave it be. But if you want to give it a try I'll help, but you need a meter

Gator
New User

Jan 16, 2011, 4:54 AM

Post #7 of 14 (8099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Toshiba REGZA 47HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Crazy If you are still going to work on it, check your 24 volts from the power supply to the inverter. If they are not there then your power supply is at fault. Also, when you turn on the TV do you get backlight for a second and then nothing? Or is it just nothing at all?

I have been following this post, I own a 42LX177. I do not have 24 volts on the power supply board but I get the backlight for a second (main screen) then nothing when the TV is powered up. The yellow LED on the front flashes in 3 blocks of 3 flashes then goes solid green. I am assuming that the power supply board is gone?

tvrepairbuddy
New User

Jan 16, 2011, 3:27 PM

Post #8 of 14 (8092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gator] Toshiba REGZA 47HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

I am quite sure that Power Supply Board has gone out of service.I had Gone through the same type of problem

------------------------------------------------------------
Need your Tv Repaired Quick & Affordable?
Contact a Tv Repair Service Near You!
------------------------------------------------------------

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 16, 2011, 10:14 PM

Post #9 of 14 (8084 views)
Shortcut

If you get the backlight "for a second," I wonder if you might, I say might, have 24 volts "for a second?" Crazy

-------------------------

Gator
New User

Jan 22, 2011, 11:07 PM

Post #10 of 14 (8041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tvrepairbuddy] Toshiba REGZA 47HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all for the replies to the thread. With my trusty multimeter I probed all of the boards for the correct voltages. I was missing the 24 volts and traced things back to the main power supply board. Found one on Ebay for $65 and waited for a week. Quickly installed the board and everything is fine. From what I found about all the information on the thread, just follow what they said, and a little care it is possible to track down the problem. This is the first time I've done something like this!
A word of caution, the Power Supply board has marked "Live Areas", trust me they are live. I inadvertently brushed across one of these areas and got a little surprise.
Again, thanks to all and I figured I saved about $500 from a service guy coming out.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 23, 2011, 2:25 AM

Post #11 of 14 (8033 views)
Shortcut

Don't lick any thick red wires on older sets. They also bite.Wink

-------------------------

bladerunner0427
New User

Feb 18, 2011, 8:10 AM

Post #12 of 14 (7941 views)
Shortcut

Can you post a how-to on checking each board for the correct voltages? As soon as I move into my new apartment next month, I'm gonna try to fix my TV. Thanks.

Gator
New User

Feb 18, 2011, 1:01 PM

Post #13 of 14 (7936 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Can you post a how-to on checking each board for the correct voltages? As soon as I move into my new apartment next month, I'm gonna try to fix my TV. Thanks.

I used this reference as a guide: http://www.fixya.com/...roubleshooting_guide
With that said, make sure you have lots of room to get around the tv and take it apart and that there is good light. Check the capacitors first because a buldged one is a quick way without having to power the tv. If everything looks alright and the fuses are ok then I powered the tv without the cover.
As you look at the boards in the back there are only 4 or so ones that you can check. I started away from the power supply board and worked my way back. All of the connectors are marked as to the voltages that are required. I made sure I always tested from the voltage to the board ground and chasis ground. By working one board at a time and back to the power supply I made sure each voltage was present (or not) and came up that the 24 volts was missing and made sense with the backlight not starting. If I did not have 5 volts on one board and had 5 volts on another board then it could not be the power supply.
Anyways this worked for a non electronics repair person!
Good Luck

AirenBunte
New User

Feb 20, 2011, 3:53 PM

Post #14 of 14 (7920 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

I have been facing the same problem after purchase. I forgot to bring my warranty card after purchase. I talk to the service center for this problem but they have told me to bring the warranty card otherwise I will have to pay them a huge amount for the service. So, if possible please tell me someone how to fix this problem.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)