Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba Regza 42HL167

strohad
New User

Mar 14, 2013, 1:43 AM

Post #1 of 11 (7046 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba Regza 42HL167 Can't Post

I got this TV from a customer who was gonna throw it out. When you plug it in, all I get is 3 yellow blinking lights then a pause and repeat. I've been reading online in alot of places that this could just need a firmware upgrade, so I tried that according to the steps that I read online, but no success. I also read that the other cause would be the seine board, which is the board with the HDMI ports on it. So I purchased a board on ebay and tried that, but I'm still getting the yellow flashing lights, no pic, no sound, nothing but the yellow flashing lights. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

board repairs
User

Mar 18, 2013, 8:20 PM

Post #2 of 11 (6999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strohad] Toshiba Regza 42HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just had the Toshiba 42HL196 in with the 3 blinks & it was the power supply . I replaced the IC on the top right . It was a STRW6765 mounted on the metal heat sink . Did not write down the IC location # of the board . The IC had 6 legs on it . Hope this helps but most of all can you solder ? And be careful as the power supply still holds a charge & when soldering or removing parts shorts can happen . If you can't do the job & you have this part # on your power board take it to a shop & have them swap it out for you or you can try to find a new board & swap it out .
Good luck

strohad
New User

Mar 18, 2013, 8:44 PM

Post #3 of 11 (6994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [board repairs] Toshiba Regza 42HL167 [In reply to] Can't Post

Ty for the info, and yes I do know how to solder. Is there any way to discharge this stored power before i start messing with things? Or just be real careful what i touch?

board repairs
User

Mar 18, 2013, 8:56 PM

Post #4 of 11 (6995 views)
Shortcut

Just be careful . Not sure if your board has this part on it since they are different models , but hopefully it will take care of your problem .
I don't have a service manual on it to help with the voltage flow & the customers tv which i fixed was told by Toshiba rep it was the seine board as well . But it wasn't the case .
Hopefully that is your problem as its a cheap fix .
Good luck

strohad
New User

Mar 27, 2013, 2:22 AM

Post #5 of 11 (6952 views)
Shortcut

Well my TV doesn't have the same IC, it has a STRW6756, but it's in the same situation as the one you said about, screwed to a heat sink and solder'd to the board. I bought one and replace it, but now when i plug the tv in, i don't even get the yellow light flashing. I guess it's possible I bought a bad chip. I don't know where to go from here.

board repairs
User

Mar 27, 2013, 5:05 PM

Post #6 of 11 (6942 views)
Shortcut

Not sure what to tell you except maybe check your connections . You could have received a bad part too . Check to see if you've blown a fuse . Do you have a volt meter ? Can u check to see if any voltage is present at the IC you replaced . I do not have a service manual for that set . Have you tried putting the old part back in & get the set back to the 3 blinking lights ? If you have a meter i would check voltages first . Set may use pico fuses which could be a green or yellow color . This part can be static sensitive so be careful when you handle it . Let me know if i can help .

strohad
New User

Mar 27, 2013, 6:17 PM

Post #7 of 11 (6939 views)
Shortcut

at this point if it's not the board that I've already replaced, would it be safe to say that it definately has something to do with the power supply, I found a few on eBay and at this point it's probably just better for me to replace the whole power supply then struggle through different components

board repairs
User

Mar 27, 2013, 8:43 PM

Post #8 of 11 (6933 views)
Shortcut

Nothing is 100% safe in saying the power board is for sure your problem . I would lean that way but without a service manual & voltage testing it would just be a guess . Hate to see u put more money in for nothing . Looking thru my files i have not seen that model # comes thru my doors . Wish i could help you make the call on that one .

strohad
New User

Mar 28, 2013, 2:12 AM

Post #9 of 11 (6928 views)
Shortcut

Well, I bought a power supply board from ebay, only $30. I'll let you know what happens when I get it, should have it by this weekend. Thanks for the help and ideas.

strohad
New User

Apr 1, 2013, 3:59 PM

Post #10 of 11 (6861 views)
Shortcut

Well I got the new power supply and it got me back to the 3 blinking lights again. At a lose now, don't know if it's really worth going any further with it or not.

mel
Veteran

Apr 1, 2013, 9:29 PM

Post #11 of 11 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Go to elektrotanya.com and download the repair info for that model. There is a flow chart for trouble shooting the three blinks as an error code.Unsure

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)