Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Tube picture problem

kel1306
New User

Dec 14, 2012, 4:57 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Tube picture problem Can't Post

Curtis Mathis tube type, 10 years old. Picture has shrunk from all four sides about 4 inches or so. There is a vertical line down the center of the picture. The picture is distorted along this line, kind of like looking at an open book. Other than that, the picture to the side of that distortion looks fine. TV worked just fine up to the point this happened. Any thoughts.

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 14, 2012, 6:07 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kel1306] Tube picture problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Power supply voltages?Wink

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Dec 14, 2012, 7:52 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1569 views)
Shortcut

kel1306;.....

jts1957 may be right.....
That's one possibility...
There is also the possibility that you may have a horiz drive problem....
Without a model number & my crystal ball being in for updating & repairs , I haven't a clue what help I/we can give you....

Till then.......

How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

kel1306
New User

Dec 14, 2012, 9:58 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Power at the outlet is ok, 122 volts. To answer your question, I don't have any experience with TV repair. I do have enough knowledge though that I can understand when you you shoot an idea to me. My thinking is that something is not sending the correct signal to paint the screen to the outermost horizontal position, hence the vertical line that is compressing the inner most few inches of the screen. Problem is, I need to find out if it can be fixed at a reasonable cost.

Oh, model # is CM32020S, 32 inch Curtis Mathis.

(This post was edited by kel1306 on Dec 14, 2012, 9:59 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Dec 15, 2012, 1:58 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1556 views)
Shortcut

kel1306;....

I do have enough knowledge though that I can understand when you you shoot an idea to me.

I have enough knowledge about car engines , but I can not change piston rings....Wink...
This will require you to have some knowledge of circuitry , resistors , caps & transformers...
You will be asked to check some parts , take some resistor & voltage readings , etc...

Problem is, I need to find out if it can be fixed at a reasonable cost.

That depends on what your definition of what "reasonable cost" would be to you...
A 10 year old Curtis Mathis doesn't light up many bright lights anywhere except on bonfires...Wink....

I'm having a problem trying to find a service manual for that set , so we may have hit a wall anyway....Unsure....
Some sources are saying it's made by "Samsung"....
What a step down for Samsung !!!!..(IF true..)....
See if you can find a chassis number on the label you got the model number from....
THANKS....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

kel1306
New User

Dec 15, 2012, 2:43 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Tube picture problem [In reply to] Can't Post

You are the second one I've heard say that it might be made by Samsung. Even if it was a "step down", it has been a good TV. <br> <br>I wasn't planning on trying to fix the thing myself, but I thought if I could get an idea of what might need fixed / replaced, it would help with the cost. You know as well as I do that spending $200 on a 10 year old TV is not worth the time. Besides, a new flat screen would save my back trying to move this monstrosity! <br>

Oh, I can't find any other numbers besides the serial number. 39ZTA50482D

(This post was edited by kel1306 on Dec 15, 2012, 2:45 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Dec 15, 2012, 8:03 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1544 views)
Shortcut

kel1306;.....

It would be a step down for Samsung & a step up for Curtis Mathis...
Years ago (Decades) , CM was absolute JUNK !!!!
There were techs that refused to work on them....
I meant NO offense to you....

There's NO WAY IN HELL that that repair would cost $200 !!!!
At least NOT in my area...
A reasonable cost would more likely be about $50.00~$75.00 , depending on parts...
IF it has a power supply problem & IF it is a large lytic cap , the price likely would hover around $75.....
IF it has a Horiz drive problem (My guess) , the parts are usually cheaper , so the price likely would be around $50ish....

IF you have a honest , trustworthy & reputable TV repair shop in your area , why not take that 32" boat anchor wannabe in & see if you can get a "FREE" estimate...
Then you can either fix it or get a new flat screen...
Simple , huh !!!

Good luck & Happy Holidays....

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)