Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Tuner gone wild!!

GMJIm
New User

Aug 2, 2006, 10:24 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Tuner gone wild!! Can't Post

My Sony KV-13FS100 display suddenly started to change channels all by itself. At least the display is going through all the channels but the channel is not changing. I have no control from the remote (fresh batteries) and the buttons on the tv are not responding either. If I want to change the channel all I have to do is wait for the display to get to the channel I want and poke any button on the tv and hope I hit it at the right time and the channel changes to where ever the display was when I hit the button. I also have no volume control. The only switch that works is the on off. Is my Sony done for or can it be repaired at a reasonable price? I have to add that I have never had a Sony TV last more than 3 years.
Thanks for the help
Jim

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 3, 2006, 5:28 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GMJIm] Tuner gone wild!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like contaminated front switches, Sony is a very reliable TV. Yes it has issues but not lasting 3 years may not be an issue with the TV.

Larry E
User

Aug 3, 2006, 6:22 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Tuner gone wild!! [In reply to] Can't Post

As rrobor said, probably "windexed" front control panel, if you feel techy unplug the set, remove the back,unplug the cable going to the front control panel buttons, turn on the set (with the remote control of course)and see if it works correctly,if it does you of course need a new control panel, and need to stop putting windex or any other glass cleaner on the screen, if it still doesn`t work you either have an eprom or micro problem. Larry E

GMJIm
New User

Aug 3, 2006, 11:10 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Larry E] Tuner gone wild!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys and thanks for the replies.
As I stated in my original post, my remote does not work even with fresh batteries. I have a neighbour with a Sony TV and the remote works on it but not on my 13" I don't spray windex or anything on the tv or the screen. If necessary I spray some on a soft cloth then wipe the tv down. I have no problem taking the set apart if I have some idea what to look for or what to test. This TV is in a dry environment and is well looked after. I mentioned earlier that I have never had a Sony last for more than 3 years. I just had a conversation with my brother and he told me he bought two 24" Sony's for his kids and they both died within two weeks of each other and yes they were also around three years old. No more Sony for me but I would like to fix this one if possible because the picture is still great and the tuner thing is all that's wrong with it.
Thanks
Jim

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2006, 2:36 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1067 views)
Shortcut

If you like the set, call a TECH. If you don't like the set, buy a new set, made in Timbuctoo!

GMJIm
New User

Aug 4, 2006, 3:48 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Tuner gone wild!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Paulpablo
This IS calling tech. I like the set just not Sony because of the track record I have experienced. If you have any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.
Jim

techchris
Veteran

Aug 4, 2006, 7:41 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Sony are not alone in short lifes. I doubt you will find any make giving more than 2-3 years trouble free these days and all because of the western worlds clamour for cheap Chinese imports. Anyway you did not say what happened when you disconnected the front control buttons .it is only a matter of pulling off the plug/socket to the front control panel if you look.

GMJIm
New User

Aug 20, 2006, 4:54 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Tuner gone wild!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the help. It turned out to be a stuck switch on the TV itself. Don't know how this happened because I never use them, nor do I move the TV around??? Anyway I pulled it apart and plugged it in and everything worked fine. As a precaution I cleaned all the switches and checked to make sure the case went back together without any interference with the switches. As far as the Sony three year thing goes I'm not in the TV repair business so I can't comment beyond my own experience with Sony but I have owned Panasonic TV's and they seem to last forever. I have a 32" GAOO that I bought when they first came out and the picture is as good as the day I bought it. Anyway thanks to all for your help. These forums are a great thing. Let me know if you have any car trouble (my area of expertise)
Thanks
Jim

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)