Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Vizio 42"

satpro92
New User

Nov 6, 2009, 1:50 AM

Post #1 of 18 (6488 views)
Shortcut
Vizio 42" Can't Post

I have a problem with a Vizio VW42LFHDTV10A.When you turn it on the picture will come on for a matter of seconds then go to black, meanwhile the audio works but is muffled and a little static(it clears up when the screen goes black)
Now,if you repeatedly turn the TV on and off it will eventually stay on.That said, I expect that soon it will no longer saty on reguardless.What part is going bad?

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 6, 2009, 4:55 AM

Post #2 of 18 (6480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [satpro92] Vizio 42" [In reply to] Can't Post

Check for puffed electrolytic capacitors, especially on the power supply board.Wink

-------------------------

satpro92
New User

Nov 6, 2009, 4:59 PM

Post #3 of 18 (6473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Vizio 42" [In reply to] Can't Post

Are those easy to replace?I have done plenty of that type off repairs to C-Band Satellite receivers but never TVs.Does the board simply unplug and plug back in?

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 6, 2009, 7:51 PM

Post #4 of 18 (6469 views)
Shortcut

Yes, if you can use a soldering iron. And yes, boards are plug-n-play.Wink

satpro92
New User

Nov 7, 2009, 4:20 AM

Post #5 of 18 (6462 views)
Shortcut

Good stuff,thanks a million.My next question,what is the best place to get parts?Again very new to TV repair so I need a lot of help LOL.

satpro92
New User

Nov 20, 2009, 4:29 AM

Post #6 of 18 (6421 views)
Shortcut

It was the power supply board,however I coundn't see any caps that looked bad.I ended up ordering the board from Vizparts.com.

If not caps,what else could it be?Again, no caps "looked" bad.I would prefer to fix the original board instead of returning it for the core charge.
And again thank a million.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 20, 2009, 5:38 AM

Post #7 of 18 (6420 views)
Shortcut

Caps can LOOK GOOD, but be bad. It's just lately (in the last 10 or so years), with the bad runs of lytics by certain makers (usually due to "cost cutting" moves), that we've seen the "puffed tops/oozing" capacitors.Shocked
There are four tests a lytic must pass that can NOT be seen without test equipment: Value; ESR; DA and Leakage.Cool

What else? Changed value/open resistors, Bad IC's, Bad diodes, Bad transistors. ALL of these in both discrete and surface mount packages.Angelic

FUXER
User

Nov 21, 2009, 9:38 AM

Post #8 of 18 (6405 views)
Shortcut

Jts- what you mean by DA?- sure I know it under another term. Electros can be s/c/o/c/leaky/low cap/exploded/imploded/hi impedance/d/j/rev pol(hi imp is correct term for so called esr hi)-due to measuring method- correct method is to measure tan delta using 4 wire method.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 21, 2009, 10:24 AM

Post #9 of 18 (6401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FUXER] Vizio 42" [In reply to] Can't Post

I just use my Sencore "Z" meter.Wink

http://www.sencore.com/...ectricAbsorption.pdf

FUXER
User

Nov 23, 2009, 9:09 AM

Post #10 of 18 (6380 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for link jts- I have made a meter for this problem(called self charge of electro,s) years ago- never needed to use it for most probs - however will look further at it- cheers.

Gus67
User

Nov 24, 2009, 6:40 PM

Post #11 of 18 (6369 views)
Shortcut

I have a similar problem with my sharp 32".I shake it and it comes back on.I did not open it up yet but would bet the farm on that it's a cold solder joint...

satpro92
New User

Nov 30, 2009, 5:28 AM

Post #12 of 18 (6328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus67] Vizio 42" [In reply to] Can't Post

A follow up Kinda....do most LCD/Plasma tvs also have plug and play boards?Of most interest is Sanyo DP46849 and DP46848.Thanks again.

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2009, 5:41 PM

Post #13 of 18 (6322 views)
Shortcut

I had a old car that needed a starter now my new car will not back up should i replace the starter again? Diferant set diferant ways to repair.... Faulty capacitor are happing in all sets and have been a problem over the years, however the shap that you can shake to make work most likly has loose inverter screws, this would be easer to trouble shoot with a model number. the Sanyo does have replacable boards but for the model numbers provided there are no parts avalibe to buy
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

satpro92
New User

Nov 30, 2009, 6:43 PM

Post #14 of 18 (6319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Vizio 42" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had a old car that needed a starter now my new car will not back up should i replace the starter again? Diferant set diferant ways to repair.... Faulty capacitor are happing in all sets and have been a problem over the years, however the shap that you can shake to make work most likly has loose inverter screws, this would be easer to trouble shoot with a model number. the Sanyo does have replacable boards but for the model numbers provided there are no parts avalibe to buy

Pretty straight forward question I thought, and thanks for the answer.Reread my question and justify the worn out "i had this car...."responce.
Nothing specific about repair,simply do most have plug and play boards.

Gus67
User

Dec 1, 2009, 4:34 AM

Post #15 of 18 (6308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Vizio 42" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Inverter screws? are the left handed screwsSmile
I would think that a bad Cap would produce a pattern problem.A bad solder joint is something that usualy produces a intemittant problem.
The way these units are made with the surface mount components and the amount of boards made at one time, a cold solder joint is a strong possibility.
What are you basing the bad Cap on?

Gus67
User

Dec 1, 2009, 5:01 AM

Post #16 of 18 (6306 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It was the power supply board,however I coundn't see any caps that looked bad.I ended up ordering the board from Vizparts.com.

If not caps,what else could it be?Again, no caps "looked" bad.I would prefer to fix the original board instead of returning it for the core charge.
And again thank a million.

For what it's worth,

It probably was a cold joint on the PS board.If you still have it,closely look at the solder joints on the board.

If you are really advetenturous,figure out what the power output of the PS is,Get a load resistor close to the output power and bench test it and see what becomes of it.

Those big filter caps right after the ac input take a lot of abuse because of there size.Most Power supplies PCB's are mass produced cheap silkscreen boards.The thru holes for all of the components are usualy not silkscreened.Meaning, the component is relying on the solder patch only for conductivity.A little wear and tear will cause a intermittant failure.

satpro92
New User

Dec 3, 2009, 3:23 AM

Post #17 of 18 (6285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus67] Vizio 42" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I sent it back TODAY,so thank you so much for your non sarcastic response and hope to gleen info from you in the future,but it gone.FWIW Vizparts told me the power board that came in the TV was not the right part anyway,I trust that is right because the replacement just"fit better".

I don't know but that seems like bad business from Vizio.It was represented as a new TV,with that info I kinda doubt that is true.Is this common?

satpro92
New User

Aug 15, 2010, 6:31 AM

Post #18 of 18 (5944 views)
Shortcut

OK guys,same television slightly different problem.The TV will come on and play for a short time(10 mins?)then video and audio goes away.Only a black screen,the Vizio logo light remains white instead of amber and tv functions seem to work (I can change inputs and when I power off and back on I can see that the input has changed).Any ideas?Thanks in advance.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)