Vizio VW32L-20A

rwkyle
New User

Jun 2, 2011, 11:55 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2495 views)
Shortcut
Vizio VW32L-20A Can't Post

I recently posted about this in another post with no replies. Frown

Daughter was watching and it just seemed to power down. Pulled the back panel and found a fuse on what I believe to be the power supply. Could not get continuity through the fuse. Tried another one and as soon as I plugged it in the fuse blew. So my thought is a bad power supply?

Since then I ordered a power supply from modus links. Just tried it and now it powers on and off but I am not getting any display on the screen. Usually get at least a blank blue screen looking for some kind of signal. I do get the Vizio amber and white(power on) lights on the front.

Question is should I replace the mainboard? I am already in for $85 for the power supply worth spending another $90 on the mainboard, thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2011, 2:05 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rwkyle] Vizio VW32L-20A [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds to me like you might still have a bad power supply; the section that feeds the back-lights or a bad inverter.

Do you have use of a multi-meter (in this case a DC voltage meter) & if so do you know how to check for voltages or could you with my guidance?

Check to see (hear) if you have audio. You'll have to connect a signal source such as a DVD player or digital box.

Generally if you have standby LED then power LED when power button is pressed then the main signal board is likely fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

rwkyle
New User

Jun 5, 2011, 1:58 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Vizio VW32L-20A [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for the reply. I do have a basic fluke multimeter. If you can get me to where I need to be I should be able to get the information back you need. I can try to connect some kind of source. The problem will be trying to get it to the correct input, just my guess, to see if I am getting any kind of output. I was hoping the mainboard was/is fine. I checked with modus and that board is around $78 if my memory serves me correct. At this point it was either keeping buying parts or give up and get another TV.

Again thanks so much for your help.

rwkyle
New User

Jun 5, 2011, 2:54 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2465 views)
Shortcut

I took a laptop and hooked it up to the TV and toggled the input button until I heard sound and yes I did hear sound, I put in a movie. Got the remote and could turn the sound up and down and turn the TV off. Now I do have to admit one thing, I was a genius before I started this. I did not pay attention enough to note where I pulled cables off the power supply. I should have taken a picture with my phone but I didn't. I did find the service manual online and of course it has more than one model in it. From the picture I look at it shows the only three cables from the power supply are incoming power, then three outputs. One comes from the mainboard to the power button and controls on the side. Then there is one other cable. The one I have it hooked up to is CN3. That is where the service manual I found has it connected to. So power to CN1, input on CN4(inverter cable, listed in the manual) and CN3. I have not moved the cable from CN3 to CN2 because I did not want to short something out, unless I already have.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011, 5:18 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2460 views)
Shortcut

Are you able to take a few pictures of your boards & email them to me & I can point out a few tests to try & email them back; I may also be able to tell if you have the plugs in the proper spots too. You can find my email address by clicking on my user-name. I'm sure your main signal board is fine, this will be either a problem with the power supply or the inverter board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Jun 6, 2011, 5:21 AM)

rwkyle
New User

Jun 6, 2011, 9:01 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Vizio VW32L-20A [In reply to] Can't Post

I emailed you three pictures. If you need more or something more detailed let me know. Don't know if I can say it enough, thanks so much for your help!!

rwkyle
New User

Jun 7, 2011, 1:27 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Emailed you the picture you needed, I hope. Looking at it looks like it is CN4 AND CN3. The voltages looked the same that are printed on the board. I counted the pins both have 12 pins and the 3rd has 13 so I am pretty sure that one is correct.

rwkyle
New User

Jun 8, 2011, 12:52 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2433 views)
Shortcut

It is working!!! Can't say enough how much I appreciate your help!! Thanks so much for your time and patience..

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)