Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Westinghouse TV

chris_shirar
New User

May 28, 2008, 9:06 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2439 views)
Shortcut
Westinghouse TV Can't Post

I wonder if anyone out there can help me. My 42" flat screen Westinghouse TV model LTV 40W1-HDC has been acting up lately and I can't find anyone in my area that knows how to fix it. I found a web site that sells parts for this particular model (www.shopjimmy.com), but I'm not sure which one of those 8 parts listed is the one I need to buy to fix my TV problem. Here's what's going on:
The picture slides towards the right. I can see transparent slanted dark lines across the screen superimposing the picture. The whole screen slides slowly up and down like the old roof antenna TVs, remember? The colors are washed-out purplish, greenish, bluish kind of. I can see the black picture frames as the picture slides to the right and then returns from the left.
The following is what my son and I ruled out over the weekend:
It's not the Direct TV receiver because we switched it with another one from another room, and the problem still persisted.
It's not the S-Video cable because we tried two different S-video cables and still have the same problem.
It's not the cable outlet because when we unplugged it we could still see the vertical and horizontal lines.
We tried to get a signal through "TV", "Video", "S-Video", etc. None of these worked.
The built-in DVD works just fine, as does the menu window and the stereo sound connected to the TV.
Finally, we connected a different TV to this same receiver and found that this other TV works just fine.
We concluded that the problem resides with the TV itself. Something went wrong, somehow. But what, exactly? Westinghouse is not supportive at all and I feel very much on my own. This is an 17 month TV and I paid 1,800 for it. Unfortunately its warranty expired 5 months ago.
If anyone has any idea, please help me. Please send your e-mails to mcals77@yahoo.com.
Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide.
Chris

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

May 28, 2008, 11:37 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris_shirar] Westinghouse TV [In reply to] Can't Post

This is typical of Westinghouse to conk right after the warranty expires.I hate to be a message of bad news, but you will find no schematics, no parts,no factory support for this set! It is BUYER BEWARE TIME!

chris_shirar
New User

May 29, 2008, 7:10 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] Westinghouse TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. I agree and I'll NEVER buy from Westinghouse again! Their customer support is shabby, and they don't stand behind their product.
Happily my story has a happy ending as last night the power went off briefly, and when it came back on the TV was working properly once again! Go figure!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)