Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
What will happen

FredlyFX
New User

Jul 10, 2007, 5:54 AM

Post #1 of 5 (933 views)
Shortcut
What will happen Can't Post

Hello everyone. I need some info on what will happen to a TV and to a CRT computer monitor if it is smashed. I have a web site called wesmashshit.com where we smash stuff. We have several old televisions and computer montors we want to smash in various creative ways, but we have some concern about what will happen when we do.
We understand that they are pressurized inside. Will it explode when hit with a sledge hammer? We will wear a lot of protective gear, but just want to know what we are up against so we can make an informed decision about moving ahead with our plans.
Also, what is the difference if the CRT monitor is plugged in and working when it is smashed versus being off? Other than the obvious electricity issues, is there more pressure if it is on? And, is there anything we specifically shouldn't touch after we smash a TV or CRT monitor?
(I'm actually not crazy, it just seems that way. We want to do this stunt safely, and would appreciate any help you can offer)
Thanks
FredlyFX
http://fredlyfx.com
http://wesmashshit.com

(This post was edited by FredlyFX on Jul 10, 2007, 5:55 AM)

techchris
Veteran

Jul 10, 2007, 10:32 AM

Post #2 of 5 (926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FredlyFX] What will happen [In reply to] Can't Post

for Gods sake dont hit tubes with a hammer.there is a vacuum inside and the glass will implode and cause you serious injury. either knock the neck part off first to release the vacuum or if you must smash it take it somewhere well away from anyone or anything .you wont smash the face(too tough) but concrete blocks can smash the body but I have seen big shards of glass fly for 20 yards or more when these crt's are broken.there is no difference if the set is on or off in the danger

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 10, 2007, 11:45 AM

Post #3 of 5 (921 views)
Shortcut

Air pressure at sea level is roughly 14.7 PSI so the tube of the TV being a vacuum, it will implode at that pressure. An old safety film I saw years ago had 2 guys loading old tubes in a truck, one was tossing them from a loading bay to the other in the truck and there was a gap between loading bay and truck. One tube slipped and fell through the gap, imploded on the ground and destroyed all the back tyres. Do not mess with old TVs etc, not only have you this as an issue, there are other materials in there that are not so friendly either.

mel
Veteran

Jul 10, 2007, 9:39 PM

Post #4 of 5 (908 views)
Shortcut

Tvs should be disposed of properly at an approved disposal site. In our state is is illegal to do otherwise because of the toxic waste contained them.

FredlyFX
New User

Jul 11, 2007, 12:01 AM

Post #5 of 5 (902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] What will happen [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks much for the great info guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.
I was actually planning to jack up my truck and drop one front tire on the monitor and the other on the computer tower while it was playing one of my videos, but I don't think I will do that now. I'll have to get the creative juices flowing and figure out a safer way.
I'm curious. We have a big screen we are planning to smash at some point as well. Are they also under vacume?
FredlyFX

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)