Zenith PVR5263RK

KdogTN
New User

Sep 7, 2007, 1:14 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Zenith PVR5263RK Can't Post

A few questions,
I was given this projection tv about two months ago and it has worked fine up until 3 days ago. After moving the tv from upstairs to a downstairs. It worked for about 3 hours once down stairs and the screen started flickering back and fourth then went to black. The audio continued with no problem. After a few minutes, a high pitch noice came from within the box then a slight smell like a component over heated.
I have been reading for two days on the forums and had a couple of general questions.

It has been about 10 years since I have picked up a screwdriver and decided to give electronics a spin.
#1) How do I discharge the tubes and RGB projectors? I know they are HV and do not feel like riding the lightening. The TV have been unplugged and off for 3 days now.
#2) I removed the plastic focus housings to clean the lenses and so fourth due to black dots projecting when the tv is on. There are black dots that are right dead center under the lenses on all three tubes. These dots are under the glass that would be in the fluid. I have read how this fluid is carcinogenic so I was careful when trying to inspect the lens. After trying to get the lens off with out making a mess I gave up for now. What kind of fluid is this and where can I get it if I decided to change the fluid out? I have literally found NO information about this on the internet.
#3) Is it even worth the effort? The tv is in new condition. The picture was excellent with the exception of the dots and I would like to try to fix it or fix some of the minor stuff and call a repair center to fix the stuff I cannot figure out...
Thanks ahead for any kind of information I can get.

terminator
User

Sep 8, 2007, 1:22 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KdogTN] Zenith PVR5263RK [In reply to] Can't Post

the fluid is a coolant. it keeps the projectors cool while running. i dont know where you can get that fluid. tvs are not worth fixing. its such a hasle to take it apart and repair things. you should just buy a new rca hdtv there on very good prices at wal-mart and k-mart

(This post was edited by terminator on Sep 8, 2007, 1:25 AM)

KdogTN
New User

Sep 8, 2007, 1:42 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [terminator] Zenith PVR5263RK [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately for me I work nights and spent about 3 hours last night researching and ordered more fluid for it. I have medium level experience with electronics and have taken this on as a project. Seeing as how it was given to me, if it costs me $100 in parts, I'm already ahead of the game.

Side question. I have voltage meters, soldering guns, etc and am actually looking to get an oscilloscope. I had one awhile back but it didn't make it through Hurricane Katrina. If I'm going to be working on this TV or any TV"s in general, what ranges do I need? They have several on EBay that I was looking at but I would hate to buy one that goes up to 75mHz and I needed 80mHz.
Any suggestions?

terminator
User

Sep 8, 2007, 2:14 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1801 views)
Shortcut

i say you should buy one off of ebay. i get most of the stuff i have off of ebay.

shadetree
Veteran

Sep 8, 2007, 2:39 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1799 views)
Shortcut

those black spots mean that the tubes are burned replacing the gel won't help and its not worth replacing the tubes also this is usually caused by too high of voltage so you would have to fix that TOO common with zenith JUNK IT!!!

KdogTN
New User

Sep 13, 2007, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Zenith PVR5263RK [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I have changed the fluid and cleaned the spots off of the back of the lense. It was like a mold or something but it's all clean now... I have come to the conclusion that the problem is within the power supply board. It has a big transformer on it that has a high voltage connection going to the three projectors. I'm assuming this is the "flyback" transformer. The fuse on the board is undamaged. I have used a simple voltage meter to probe around and it seems to be dead. I found a rebuild kit including a flyback online for about $200 for this model tv. My new question is how long do these things hold voltage? I do not want to grab a hold of that flyback transformer and end up glowing. The TV has been unplugged for about a week now.
Thanks for all of the help everyone is giving me.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)