Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Zenith Z50PX2D repair

siciliano77
New User

Aug 9, 2009, 3:31 AM

Post #1 of 3 (7281 views)
Shortcut
Zenith Z50PX2D repair Can't Post

I have a Zenith/LG z50px2D and for the second time now, it has gone "pop", and there's no picture at all. This is a VERY well known, well documented problem with this TV (very LONG thread on fixya.com). The first time it happened, a few months ago, they replaced the Z-sus board (part #6871Qzh044c), and the set worked fine until just today - 4 months later - it went "pop" again a few times very loudly, and again no picture... just sound.

The first time it was repaired and parts/labor were covered after I convinced LG to extend my warranty due to defective parts - the only problem is it took them TWO MONTHS to get the TV back to me! This time, I'd like to try to do the repair myself - even if it means buying a $200 board to avoid having to wait another 2 months to get the TV back.

So, my question is, how can I tell which board(s) are faulty?? I unscrewed and removed the thin covering on the back of the TV, but all the boards, including the Z-sus board, "look" fine - you would think with such a LOUD pop, one of the boards would be broken, cracked, or at least have some dark discoloration or something! How can I tell which board has failed????

Thanks!!

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 9, 2009, 6:06 AM

Post #2 of 3 (7269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [siciliano77] Zenith Z50PX2D repair [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a very brave man. If anything like the ones in my country replacing one board is a waste of time. Here it was a kit of 3 boards to fix. If you put one in, sure it can fix the fault, but it was caused by/ or it stressed others. It was as bad here that LG sold the 3 for less than $100. That though has stopped. So my advice is dont do that but in the end its your choice.

siciliano77
New User

Aug 9, 2009, 1:04 PM

Post #3 of 3 (7266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Zenith Z50PX2D repair [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, now that you mention it, I think you're 100% correct. If it is the Z-sus again, why would it failed again after only a few months if it's brand new?!? It must have been caused by one of the other boards, which are apparently faulty as well. I wish I could get the 3 boards for under $100!!! I could easily replace the boards - it seems pretty similar to replacing a board in a computer, and I've been building computers for over 10 years now. It's just a matter of getting the boards, which I think total over $800...

I'm not willing to spend that much, so I'll call LG again tomorrow and pray they re-extend the warranty to cover the parts/labor again!

*crossing my fingers* Smile

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)