Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
ctc186/7 series

freefly
New User

Feb 6, 2006, 4:25 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1327 views)
Shortcut
ctc186/7 series Can't Post

I'm having a problem with my GE CTC186.7 Series 27" TV. It started a month ago or so and has gotten progressively worse.

When the set is first turned on you can hear a relay set after a short delay and the then the TV operates as normal and this is a normal condition. When I started to have problems with it, the relay would click on and off several times and would eventually settle in and start working. This situation worsened to the point where it would do this after being on for a while. I would just be sitting watching it and it would blank out the screen and start clicking over and over.

Now the relay situation (at least the sound of a relay) has subsided but the set will still blank and reset showing the channel we have on as if to restart. Lately it has not been turning on at all for long periods of time and then it will work properly again. I almost missed the Super Bowl over this. I moved a spare that was in the bedroom out so everyone could see it.

I now have the TV in the garage and it's back has been opened. I blew everything clean with compessed air and sprayed it all down with Tune-o-Wash. (yeah, I know, not supposed to be able to get that stuff anymore but I had a can from many years ago when I worked as an Avionic Tech.) Now the set seems to be working fime except for that annoying blanking out every now and then. I think it's only a temp fix.

I have no schematic so troubleshooting will be difficult. Does anyone have any similar problems with this set? I'm hoping someone will be able to save me from wasting time chasing my tail around.

Thanks

rrobor
Veteran

Feb 6, 2006, 11:40 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [freefly] ctc186/7 series [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck to you sir, the next hurricane that causes damage and death remember your TV and your can of ozone killer, I wish you luck.

shadetree
Veteran

Feb 6, 2006, 5:45 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

take bottom off tuner and resolder tuner grounds

freefly
New User

Feb 8, 2006, 4:32 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] ctc186/7 series [In reply to] Can't Post

My apologies rrobor, I'll do what I can to dispose of it properly. Hopefully someone in here knows how. If I would have known this would cause you or anyone greif, I would have disposed of it when the time was right. Actually I forgot I had it until I was browsing around in one of my cabinets and found it. I just wasn't thinking about the implications of a couple of squirts to clean things up a bit. Won't happen again.

freefly
New User

Feb 8, 2006, 4:33 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] ctc186/7 series [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Shadetree. I have a plateful this week with college courses and work but will have time to try your advise later this week. I'll be sure to post the results so everyone may learn from it.

I apologize to you and everyone else for the use of the old can of Tune-o-Wash. I just wasn't thinking. As I recall from the early 90's when production was stopped on it, we were told to use up what we had and a new, more environmentally friendly product, was to follow and it did. The part with "use up what we had" just hasn't been used yet. I'm not sure how to dispose of it. Is there a place I can take it? If I do, will it just get into the environment anyway? Or is there a way to capture it's contents and neutralize it?

freefly
New User

Feb 10, 2006, 1:10 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] ctc186/7 series [In reply to] Can't Post

OK Shadetree, I tried it. That didn't work. I did find out that the relay I'm speaking of is a degaussing relay that keeps the power to the tube off until it finishs it's purpose. Do you have any insight into how this thing works? What contols it? What is the coil voltage?

Can anyone help me? I've tried to find a schematic on the internet for this model and it's no where to be found. It's a GE model #31GT659, chassis# CTC187CN2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

shadetree
Veteran

Feb 10, 2006, 3:17 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1284 views)
Shortcut

the next thing to try is the eprom ic it's only a couple of dollars and worth a shot

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)