Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
kv32xbr100

rlp
New User

Oct 2, 2006, 3:27 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2420 views)
Shortcut
kv32xbr100 Can't Post

I have a sony kv32xbr100(its says xbr2) that i bought in January 1998. Love the set but I have a problem at the moment.There is a sine wave like pattern traveling from bottom to top on the screen.It"s making me crazy.Any help would be appreciated. Also,during dissassembly of the case,it started to break off in pieces and I was wondering if the case can be replaced,if parts are available.

techchris
Veteran

Oct 2, 2006, 5:39 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rlp] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

does the fault show up on dvd playback?

bbrtv
New User

Oct 2, 2006, 6:02 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2408 views)
Shortcut

I've had a few tv's of various brands that the case got very brittle,and that can be dangerous.One in particular without warning split apart in my hands as I was lifting it,tube and circuit board came out like yolk from a cracked egg and it dropped to the floor.Be very careful,could be a risk of injury.

rlp
New User

Oct 3, 2006, 2:59 AM

Post #4 of 14 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, the distortion appears when no image is present on the screen,say a solid blue background.Yes, it does appear during playback.The set has a lot of dust on the components.Can this be a contributor?I was thinking this was some kind of filtering issue.

rlp
New User

Oct 3, 2006, 3:01 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbrtv] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

Same issue here.It didn't fall completely apart thank God because this is a very heavy set.

techchris
Veteran

Oct 3, 2006, 7:39 AM

Post #6 of 14 (2397 views)
Shortcut

try the mains smoothing capacitor.its the big electrolytic cap on the power supply usually about 150mfd-300mfd I dont remember exactly and I have no circuit diagram also check for any bulging electrolytics or ones with the top doming which is always a clue to it being faulty

(This post was edited by techchris on Oct 3, 2006, 7:40 AM)

rlp
New User

Oct 4, 2006, 10:17 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

I pulled the ps board out and blew the dust off so I could review the board.Almost immediatedly after the ac input there are 2 caps(they don't appear to be electrolytics).They are labeled 2b474m.I don't believe these were the ones you were referring to.The 2 largest electrolytics are 250v 820mf. which I suspect are the ones I am looking for.No bulging tops on any of the caps.While removing the board,another couple of brittle pieces of the case broke.Hope this case is available somewhere.Should I just replace those caps?

gearguy
User

Oct 5, 2006, 6:10 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2377 views)
Shortcut

Try unplugging your cable TV from the unit. Does the distortion go away when you do this?

bbrtv
New User

Oct 5, 2006, 7:54 PM

Post #9 of 14 (2371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gearguy] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know man,if parts of the case keep breaking off in your hands it might be time to pull the plug on this one.You might get a case from a junked set at a tv repair shop but that might be kind of unlikely.Getting a new case (again unlikely) would would probably be expensive.As for your electronic prob,maybe a picture would clarify things for us.Good luck.

rlp
New User

Oct 26, 2006, 5:07 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbrtv] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

You might be right about shelving the set,but I am a diehard tinkerer.I will persue it til its fixed unless it costs an arm and leg.Something new has started.The access center box has a flashing green power light.When I try to turn on the set,the TV never comes on.I noticed that when it functions correctly that the same light is solid green.Its intermittent and will function on its own terms.Still trying to get a picture to post on original issue.

DavidB
New User

Oct 28, 2006, 4:39 PM

Post #11 of 14 (2302 views)
Shortcut

Hi!
Your two problems may be related. Try disconnecting the Access Center box from the TV. The TV part has an A/V connector on the back that you can connect a VCR to for test purposes. It's located under a small panel above where the multiport connector plugs into the back of the TV. Use the front panel controls (TV/Video)to access this input, not the remote. Does the problem go away? If so, the problem is in the access center. If not, the power supply in the TV part is bad. (Probably an electrolytic capacitor opened up)

rlp
New User

Oct 30, 2006, 4:19 AM

Post #12 of 14 (2290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidB] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback.I will try this first chance i get.

rlp
New User

Oct 30, 2006, 5:10 AM

Post #13 of 14 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidB] kv32xbr100 [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I had everything isolated and the set was the issue with the interference.I tried what you suggested and the screen is as clear as it ever was.Running off the dvd/vhs player.still a problem with the access box but i found a site that has the f board available(wehaveparts.com) unless you know another sitr to look beyond thepartstore.Thanks again.Sly

billg
New User

Jan 29, 2007, 4:44 AM

Post #14 of 14 (2160 views)
Shortcut

David,
I have the same problem with my 32xbr100. I suspect noisy power and have been planning on just replacing the power supply board rather than look for the defective component. I saw you post here and wanted to follow=up with you before looking for the board which I suspect is about $150.

Thanks in advance.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)