Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
lightning strike!

cdcmaximus
New User

Jul 9, 2012, 10:20 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1616 views)
Shortcut
lightning strike! Can't Post

this forum helped me out last time, hopefully you guys can help me again. I have a dynex DX-LCD32-09 TV. About an hour ago, a very severe storm went thru and a bolt of lightning hit pretty close {too close!}. it tripped the breaker outside {just my bedroom, not the whole house}, reset breaker and everything works fine except tv in question. here are the symtoms: tv turns on, but when i tried to watch it, there was no picture.{ i have it plugged into HDMI 1} so then i tried the xbox, it turned on but at first it had a severe blue tint. but i just tried the xbox again, and the picture is fine. { can watch netflix on the xbox, and the picture is fine}. but when i tried to switch it over to the cable {HDMI} still no picture, it just says "no signal". i tried HDMI 2 with the same result.
im wondering, is this a tv problem, or could it be the cable box??
any help or advice, and thanks in advance.

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012, 10:54 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdcmaximus] lightning strike! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the Xbox connected to HDMI?
HDMI not working

cdcmaximus
New User

Jul 9, 2012, 11:04 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [74f100] lightning strike! [In reply to] Can't Post

no. the xbox is connected to the AV. On the dynex menu i have...TV, AV, S-VID, Component 1 and 2, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, and VGA. Ive tried hooking up the cable to HDMI 1 and 2 with the same result.

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2012, 1:18 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Also check component.

I haven't looked up your TV specifically, it's a very busy night for me. But many Dynex sets split the main into a digital section and an analog section. You will need to see which inputs work and which do.

My initial suspicion is you'll have no digital inputs working, and you've already tested part of your analog (AV).

Do a channel scan with a set of rabbit ears and see if you can pick up any analog air stations (very few exist, we only have one Spanish station here).

Good luck,
Jim
HDMI not working

cdcmaximus
New User

Jul 10, 2012, 5:51 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1569 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the responce jim. just had the timewarner tech here. it looks like my hdmi {1 and 2} are not working. so he hooked up the cable thru component 2 input, with 3 vid. cble's and 2 audio cble's. i have my picture back with sound. but...the HD channels dont seem as crisp as before. { he told me with the 3 vid cables hooked up, i would have HD.} he had to replace the amplyfyer on the outside of the house.
so i dont know whats up. is their a problem with the tv { when the xbox is on the picture is nice and crisp} or is their a problem still with the cable??
granted i have a working tv, but i dont know if their is anything else to do?
any suggestions?
let me know if you need anymore info.
thanks
max

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012, 12:24 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1560 views)
Shortcut

Component is not quite as good as HDMI. Though it usually takes very young eyes to notice the difference (I can't).

So you did take a surge through the cable line. Supposedly the grounding breaking down over time will make that more likely. Though I'm no expert on power or electrical codes.
HDMI not working

cdcmaximus
New User

Jul 11, 2012, 12:33 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1559 views)
Shortcut

trust me...i dont have young eyes. just turned 41 today!!!
its been a few hours since the tech left, and i noticed a few things other then the crispness issue. the picture

seems to be brighter. {the whites are really really white} tried to adjust the picture thru the tv {tint, brightness, sharpness, etc.}

with no luck. you had said something earlier about a tuner board, ive looked them up and usually what come back is a "main board"

are you talking about the board that has the imputs on them??. if thats the case i would rather just replace the board. im trying to

rule out other boards..such as power supply, inverter, etc.

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012, 12:39 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1557 views)
Shortcut

In some versions there is only one main.

I don't have access to the service manuals for those at home. I just mentioned that due to a common design layout of that brand.

If your set only has a main, then yes that would be the bad PCB.
HDMI not working

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012, 12:41 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1556 views)
Shortcut

BTW Happy Birthday!!!

I think it was around 41 that I started to notice my eyes not focusing the same......LOL
HDMI not working

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012, 4:29 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1551 views)
Shortcut

Take a look at this article I wrote a few days ago about precautions you can take to prevent this sort of thing. I know it's a little late, but may be it can help in the future.

http://www.squidoo.com/hdmi-not-working

Good luck,
Jim
HDMI not working

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)