Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
magnavox now dead

kingm316
User

May 2, 2010, 5:10 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1040 views)
Shortcut
magnavox now dead Can't Post

i have a magnavox 20ms233s that about six months ago the channel up button started messing up, when you pressed it the tv would power off. then about four months ago it just started changing the channel all by itself, and shutting off by itself. when it is now plugged in it will go up two channels and turn off then turn on go up another two channels and shut off and repeats forever until it is unplugged. i removed the back last night and looked all over the board and found on the channel up button some corrosion on the leads. i checked all five buttons with my meter and all but the channel up are open without the button pushed and show continuity with the button pushed. the channel up showed the same resistance with or without the button pushed so i removed the switch and tested the set with the back off and the set worked perfectly. so then i unplugged it, slid the board back in and reinstalled the back. hooked up the cable box and plugged it in and it did not work. so then i unplugged the cable box and tried again and still nothing. i removed the back thinking it might work again with the back off but no it didn't. when i push the power button with only the ac plugged in there is no click, but i do hear a little buzzing or something like that out of the speaker if it means anything. what would my next check be? thanks for any help

mel
Veteran

May 2, 2010, 7:45 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kingm316] magnavox now dead [In reply to] Can't Post

Make sure you did not unplug something when you pushed the board back in.

kingm316
User

May 3, 2010, 1:32 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] magnavox now dead [In reply to] Can't Post

i rechecked everthing and remembered when i first turned it on after removing the bad channel up switch i had unplugged the speaker wires so i could manouver the board to see things. so after letting the tv sit all night i unplugged the speaker wire and coaxial cable from the cable box and tried it. and it came on and worked, it showed a solid blue screen like normal and when i changed to the av channel it went black like normal, so i left it on the blue screen for about ten minutes to see if it would stay on and it did. so after ten minutes i left it on and plugged in the speakers and within seconds the blue screen turned to a snowy screen got darker and the tv shut off. i hit the power button a couple of times and nothing happened. i unplugged the speakers and pressed the power button and it came on, plugged the speakers back in and it died again. i left the speakers unplugged and tried the coaxial from the cable box and it worked fine with no sound from the speakers. the picture is ok but a little shifty i guess is the best way i can think of describing it. after letting it play with the cable box for awhile i tried the speakers again and it went darker and died within seconds. i guess this means i have an audio problem and that is were i am stuck at. can anyone tell me my next step?

jts1957
Veteran

May 3, 2010, 8:18 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kingm316] magnavox now dead [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you SURE you're plugging the speakers into the correct socket?

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)