Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
mitsubishi lt-40164

bigwerm
New User

Feb 7, 2013, 2:42 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1029 views)
Shortcut
mitsubishi lt-40164 Can't Post

i have a mitsubishi lt-40164 and i have noticed some weird things going on with the surge protector i have it plugged into.

the only two things that are plugged into the surge protector are the tv itself and a cable box. when the tv and the cable box are plugged in but the hdmi cable that runs from the cable box to the tv is not plugged into the tv, the surge protector has the "grounded" and "protected" lights lit. once i connect the tv to the cable box with the hdmi, the light that denotes if the surge protector is grounded, goes out.

I have no idea what is going on and was hoping someone here could give me an explaination.

74f100
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2013, 5:23 AM

Post #2 of 2 (987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bigwerm] mitsubishi lt-40164 [In reply to] Can't Post

You are creating a common ground between the cable box and TV with the HDMI cable. To test this do an ohm check between the outer part of the HDMI port to the tuner. They should both read 0 ohm.

If you connect an RF line between the two, you will probably see the same thing.

I don't see how that should make the grounded light go out. They should all be at the same ground potential. Dis connect the IN cable to the cable box. If this causes the light to come back on, then you MAY have an improperly grounded cable.
HDMI not working

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)