Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
non-stop channel search

monmlee
New User

Jun 10, 2009, 6:47 PM

Post #1 of 6 (817 views)
Shortcut
non-stop channel search Can't Post

I have an RCA model P61927, chasis PTK195M2T projection screen TV. Recently the tv began flipping through channels non-stop as if doing a channel search. This starts shortly after turning it on and no remote or buttons function seems to have an affect. Can this probably be fixed? The local repair shop will change me $50 to look at it and then let me know if it can be fixed, if I bring it in. Since the TV is large, is it practical to open up the back and just bring the insides to the shop and leave the case and screen at home?

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 10, 2009, 8:21 PM

Post #2 of 6 (813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monmlee] non-stop channel search [In reply to] Can't Post

monmlee:....
I suspect you have one of the following situations:

What are you useing for TV reception:...Outdoor antenna , rabbit ears , cable or satellite???...Check for reception by hooking up another TV to the source you have for the big screen TV....If the substituted TV doesn't work , check your outdoor antenna or rabbit ears for a problem OR call your cable or satellite company for help....Check the antenna input on the back of the big TV for a good connection...If you DO get reception on the subbed TV , then you possibly have a bad tuner or other problem in the big TV...

This starts shortly after turning it on and no remote or buttons function seems to have an affect.

It's trying to "auto program" itself & not finding any channels....

Can this probably be fixed?

Yes...Depends on how much its going to cost you , how good it worked (pix & sound,etc) & how much you want to keep it,etc....

Since the TV is large, is it practical to open up the back and just bring the insides to the shop and leave the case and screen at home?

NOT Reccommended!!! There are WAY too many wires ,etc , to disconnect & re-install when its repaired...Unless you have a LOT of experience with that , you are asking for a LOT of trouble..& What you save WILL NOT be worth it....AND the shop may not be able to fix it that way....

The local repair shop will change me $50 to look at it and then let me know if it can be fixed, if I bring it in.

Find out what they want to come to your home , get an estimate then make a decision....Your call....

Later....Ron,M...Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

shadetree
Veteran

Jun 10, 2009, 8:51 PM

Post #3 of 6 (809 views)
Shortcut

insides are quite easy to remove take out screws on each side only 2 plugs on top of inside to unplug slide out about halfway to get to plugs handle gently to keep gel packs from starting to leak

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 10, 2009, 9:51 PM

Post #4 of 6 (806 views)
Shortcut

Unplug the front panel keyboard (switches) after turning the set on. If it DOES NOT act up - Change the switches.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jun 10, 2009, 9:53 PM)

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2009, 11:52 PM

Post #5 of 6 (802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] non-stop channel search [In reply to] Can't Post

great advice jts1957!

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 11, 2009, 12:09 AM

Post #6 of 6 (800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] non-stop channel search [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been doing this kind of thing for 30 plus years, I try to retain some quick tips.Wink

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)