Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
not clear

jimboe
New User

Dec 15, 2007, 2:06 AM

Post #1 of 5 (906 views)
Shortcut
not clear Can't Post

Hi everyone, I have a sony Trinitron 27 inch crt television about 5 years old.I have basic cable hooked up to it.The service cable goes into a split out,then a cable from the split out to the television. Then i have two other cables from the same split out going to another split out in the basement going to two bedrooms to the televisions in each bedroom.
The problem that i am having recently is that the three local stations are not to clear,but all the other stations are fine.And this just started in the last two weeks.I thought that maybe the split outs were bad and changed them, but no good.If i hook the service cable direct to the television in the livingroom,all the channels are crystal clear.But when I hook back up to the split out the same three channels go back to wavy and grainey.
I don't want to go and buy cable unless someone in the forum knows if i run the cable from the first split out directly to the two televisions in the two bedrooms that this might solve this problem.
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Jim

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 17, 2007, 11:58 AM

Post #2 of 5 (882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimboe] not clear [In reply to] Can't Post

You say you have cable but dont want to buy cable, Im confused. I suspect you have an antenna and thator the coax cable is faulty, or has someone built a factory in front of your antenna. If you have some form of street cable system then it may have weakened, you could get a splitter amplifier to boost the signal before splitting.

mel
Veteran

Dec 17, 2007, 8:54 PM

Post #3 of 5 (877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimboe] not clear [In reply to] Can't Post

You have "two other cables from the same split out going to another split out in the basement going to two bedrooms"? Does this mean that you have two splitters in the basement which in turn go to the bedrooms? If not where does the second cable go? Since you have a good picture with direct hook up, I would suspect a problem in the cableing (either a bad cable or the extra hook ups are loading down the system. First try disconnecting the extra cables to the basement. If it doesn't improve, the problem is probably in your splitter or secondary cable. If it does improve, try reconnecting the other cables one by one until you locate the branch that is causing the problem.

jimboe
New User

Dec 17, 2007, 10:14 PM

Post #4 of 5 (872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] not clear [In reply to] Can't Post

rrobor, I do have Comcast cable, I meant I did not want to go out and buy a spool of cable to replace the cable that runs to the televisions. If someone thought it was not needed.I did hook up a amplifier and it did clear up the picture some, but there is still a slight wave in it and now there is what looks like a screen running down the center.

jimboe
New User

Dec 17, 2007, 10:24 PM

Post #5 of 5 (869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] not clear [In reply to] Can't Post

Mel,I have a total of two splitters, one at the tv where the Comcast cable comes in and one in the basement.A three outlet splitter. Thats why i wanted to post here to see if somone thinks that I should get rid of the splitter in the basement and run the two cables going to the two television in the bedrooms directly from the first splitter.Did not want to spend the $63.00 for the 500 ft. spool.When i disconnect either one of the cables going into the basement it does clear up some.So maybe I need to run the two cables direct from the first splitter and get rid of the second one in the basement.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)