Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
old TV problem

X5-655
New User

Sep 1, 2005, 2:27 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1586 views)
Shortcut
old TV problem Can't Post

I got an old black and white TV, one that uses vacuum tubes, and has a circular picture tube, and it has a certain problem..

when watching my favorite show, Law and Order, I noticed the picture, when the houses AC turns on, the picture tubes picture shrinks like 2 inches for 3 seconds, then comes back to full size..

also, the picture is cut off on the corners (due to a circular tube), and is there any way to resize the picture to get the whole image on the screen, without the corners of the picture getting cut off?

thanks.

EDIT: I also noticed on certain screens, like ones with a certain shade of grey, the sound has a annoying buzz...

(This post was edited by X5-655 on Sep 1, 2005, 2:30 AM)

rrobor
Veteran

Sep 1, 2005, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [X5-655] old TV problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Your description of the shrinking does not lend itself to a good answer as we require to know is it all round or vertical or horizontal. The shape of the picture is just that what you seem to wish is the proverbial square peg in the round hole.

X5-655
New User

Sep 1, 2005, 9:14 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] old TV problem [In reply to] Can't Post

i opened up the TV, and the picture tube is completely round, but the shape on the front frame gives it almost a rectangular appearance.. but the picture tube from seeing the inside, is completely round..

actually, it's amazing this TV still powers on, but fixing it would be good...

X5-655
New User

Sep 1, 2005, 5:05 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [X5-655] old TV problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I also noticed something else now too..

My NES, Atari, Sega Genesis, N64, and PlayStation One, will not work on this TV.. the picture looses vertical hold, and adjusting the vertical hold knob doesn't help...

YET, my Sega Dreamcast and Xbox work fine.. Go figure.. Crazy

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)