Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
old zenith

killerwillie
New User

Jul 20, 2008, 1:09 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1600 views)
Shortcut
old zenith Can't Post

hey i have a zenith a1936p. the fuse blew so i changed it out. now when i turn the set on there is a strange clicking coming from a white box on the right side of the set above what looks like the horizontal output transistor. also its flashing and smells like burning wires. anybody know what i can do to fix it?

shadetree
Veteran

Jul 21, 2008, 12:03 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [killerwillie] old zenith [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like the hi voltage transformer

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008, 5:12 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1576 views)
Shortcut

I agree with shadetree, it sounds like you are describing the Hi Voltage 'Flyback Transformer'. Is there a heavy red wire coming out of the top of it an going to the back glass of the picture tube? If so this is the Flyback transformer. Flybacks often go bad & will arc internally and sometimes externally and they give off an electrical burning smell -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

killerwillie
New User

Jul 22, 2008, 6:07 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] old zenith [In reply to] Can't Post

ya thats what it is, thanks for your help. is that something i can find a replacement for and do it myself or should i take it to a repair shop?

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008, 1:56 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1563 views)
Shortcut

This is something you could change yourself they are actually quite easy to change.
You have to be VERY CAREFUL around the rubber cup on the end of the hi voltage wire where it connects to the tube. You have to take this cup off the back of the tube. Once its off you can work on de-soldering the flyback safely.
Once you have the rubber cup removed you'll see a small hole in the back glass of the tube, it's this small hole that you'll want to avoid; this is where the high voltage is stored. I've been zapped by these many times and as far as I know it's not lethal but it is uncomfortable. The tube can hold a charge even if the TV has been unplugged for months. Part of the tube acts like a giant capacitor that holds this charge.
I would suggest you get your new flyback first before attempting to change it, that way you can study it to see how it is attached at the tube. There will be a clip that has to be squeezed a little to remove the old flyback from the tube and the new one will have to be installed back into the small hole in the reverse manor. When installing the new one you can curl the rubber back a little to see what you are doing when inserting the new clip.
What I do to get rid of the possible charge on the tube is connect a wire lead to the ground strap on the back of the tube and attach the other end to a screwdriver. I will then insert the end of the screwdriver under the rubber cup and discharge the tube making it safe to work on. The ground on the back of the tube I am referring to will be an aluminum looking braid of wire that is stretched across the back glass of the tube; it is often held tight against the tube with springs. This ground strap is often 3 or 4 feet in length and is attached near the mounting bolts that hold the tube in and is stretched on an angle across the back of the tube (it should be the only bare wire you'll find in the set).
After you have removed the cup use the screwdriver a second time (with it still connected to the ground strap) and insert it in the small hole in the tube that is now exposed to fully discharge the tube. This will make it safe to insert the new flyback without getting a shock.
When ordering a new flyback have as much information as you can such as the make of TV, the model #, chassis number of the TV as well as the numbers written on the flyback ready for the company you place your order, different parts places will find the flyback in their inventory using various methods so it's best to have is all ready. The new flyback should be under $30 if you can find one at a reasonable price, Click HERE
I have a ton of old Zenith parts, I would probably have a good used one you could have for $15 plus the price of the shipping; I would need to know the numbers on the flyback -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Jul 22, 2008, 4:53 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)