Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
philips ptv843

sladeedge
New User

May 24, 2009, 5:22 PM

Post #1 of 19 (2643 views)
Shortcut
philips ptv843 Can't Post

i just got this tv, i know nothing about it, the picture is very hazy, if done some research and come to the conclusion the crt coolant needs to be replaced, i need help; what to get,(can i make my own fluid), and how to do it,
thanks for any help

jts1957
Veteran

May 24, 2009, 5:44 PM

Post #2 of 19 (2641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sladeedge] philips ptv843 [In reply to] Can't Post

1 package of gelatin to 6 parts of 7-Up or Mountain DewTongue

-------------------------

sladeedge
New User

May 24, 2009, 8:01 PM

Post #3 of 19 (2639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] philips ptv843 [In reply to] Can't Post

how much do i need to make total? i just do the green and blue rite? or all three bulbs? and could u link me to site that has detailed directions and pics of this procedure? how much fluid in each bulb?

thanks, slade

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

May 24, 2009, 9:39 PM

Post #4 of 19 (2635 views)
Shortcut

I disagree, it should be 1part ginger ale on red, 2 parts blueberry on blue and 3 parts lime on green!

jts1957
Veteran

May 24, 2009, 11:55 PM

Post #5 of 19 (2630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] philips ptv843 [In reply to] Can't Post

Does it matter if liquids are "Name brand" or a "house" brand?Cool

What about "carbonation?"

(This post was edited by jts1957 on May 24, 2009, 11:57 PM)

slinteriors
User

May 25, 2009, 12:34 PM

Post #6 of 19 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Why bother with home brew mixtures that have no cooling properties when replacement coolant is so cheap and available. 1 16oz bottle is enough for each CRT. Projection CRTs operate at high temperatures that is why they need ethylene Glycol ( coolant ) to prevent the face of the tube from cracking. I have seen many home brew recipes for people trying to substitute CRT coolant and I have also seen about as many end up having a cracked CRT due to inadequate cooling.

slinteriors
User

May 25, 2009, 4:23 PM

Post #7 of 19 (2614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [slinteriors] philips ptv843 [In reply to] Can't Post

Jts1957 you could have posted the private message about joking with the newbie who asked a valid question for the following reasom, and also The original poster mentioned that he had no experience you could have just refused to answer if you couldnt give an answer to his question.
You shouldnt kid anyone who is looking for assistance, and if you had repaired as many sets as I have over the past 25 years due to people useing everything from actual water to cooking oil for coolant in their Rear projection units. Then you would realize that if you cant give someone valid information, without joking then maybe you shouldnt offer any assistance, as someone may take your advice and end up destroying their Televisions.

jts1957
Veteran

May 25, 2009, 6:10 PM

Post #8 of 19 (2613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [slinteriors] philips ptv843 [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured the "Smilies" at the end of each, as you call them, "Joke" lines, might give the guy a clue as to the tongue-in-cheek nature of my response.
I've got just as much experience repairing (mostly) consumer electronics as you do.

This seems to be heading in the direction of the "Philips Magnavox Blue screen after Ic replacement" thread, and since you're "I am out of here" anyway ...

FUXER
User

May 26, 2009, 7:50 AM

Post #9 of 19 (2602 views)
Shortcut

I would really like to know why free tv info repair sites exist & why experienced tv repairers subscribe- giving info that may be right or incorrect- I have as much experience as any of you- don't you realise that by giving free info you are denying you or some other repairer a paying job?. Sure the down turn comes into this- where tv repair ain't what it was- but this & similiar forums ain't helping!. Sure it feeds your ego- I know this & mI did this!- & now I'm going to tell you all!!. Wake up- find sumpin else to do! Cheers,Fuxer.Crazy

sladeedge
New User

May 27, 2009, 12:47 AM

Post #10 of 19 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FUXER] philips ptv843 [In reply to] Can't Post

i use forums alot and thought they were for people to help each other, if im asked a ? that i dont know then i give a honest i dont know answer, i got the tv for free and its in all in all god condition other then the haze on the screen wich i have come to determine its the crt coolant that need to be changed, if someone can help me than thanks in advance if not then dont bother with replying to my topic, i dont know anything about these tvs and would like to get this one in the best worken condition as cheaply as i can but i do want to do it right, thank for any help

sladeedge
New User

May 27, 2009, 12:50 AM

Post #11 of 19 (2592 views)
Shortcut

i found a kit on tvrepairkits.com for $62 shiped everything i need with directions does that sound about right?

FUXER
User

May 27, 2009, 8:20 AM

Post #12 of 19 (2587 views)
Shortcut

This is one of the probs we got- you just don't know!- could be simple focus adj needed!-the coolant is special di-ethyl glycol- about $130 litre- look at lens of each toob- if cleaning & coolant change needed will be cloudy behind lens, caused by micro-organism growth. Then again one or more of your tubes could be low-emission- because the toobs are run at x-ray producing voltage(in vain attempt to get a bright watchable pic!)- they have short life!(relatively speaking!).Frown

sladeedge
New User

May 27, 2009, 7:06 PM

Post #13 of 19 (2582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FUXER] philips ptv843 [In reply to] Can't Post

how do u adj, the focus?

jts1957
Veteran

May 28, 2009, 12:30 AM

Post #14 of 19 (2578 views)
Shortcut

You turn the appropriate knob (Red/Green/Blue) marked "Focus" on the "Screen/Focus" block.

sladeedge
New User

May 28, 2009, 12:37 AM

Post #15 of 19 (2576 views)
Shortcut

thanks for tryen to help me , like i said i know nothing bout these tv, if it had amotor on it id probably be giving you advise, im not elictronicly smart, what i have is ptv843, i took back off cleaned the 3 bulbs, the mirror,and both sides of the front screen, it helped picture alot, but its hazy looking, i have all 3 colors good i think because i see definite blue red and green colors in the picture when watching it and im scared if i get tech out here they will try to sell me on everything except whats realy wrong with it.
thank for help,slade

jts1957
Veteran

May 28, 2009, 12:48 AM

Post #16 of 19 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Most three tube projection sets have a panel in front that needs to be removed (between the speakers, behind the grill) to gain access to this control block. Cover two tubes with cardboard while you adjust the controls for the third. Block will be marked "Focus/F" - "Screen/S" - "Red/R" - "Blue/B" - "Green/G"

sladeedge
New User

May 28, 2009, 12:51 AM

Post #17 of 19 (2570 views)
Shortcut

when i had back off i noticed at bottom between speakers a block with a bunch of little blue red green flat headed plastic screws, looked like more than one screw per color?????

jts1957
Veteran

May 28, 2009, 1:00 AM

Post #18 of 19 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Should only be six on the block I'm referring to. One "Focus" - for each of three colors / One "Screen" - for each of three colors.

sladeedge
New User

May 28, 2009, 1:08 AM

Post #19 of 19 (2568 views)
Shortcut

k thanks alot

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)