Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
philips widescreen tubes

ernie
User

Aug 12, 2006, 8:08 PM

Post #1 of 10 (918 views)
Shortcut
philips widescreen tubes Can't Post

we all know about the problems with these tubes as used in several makes of tvs but does anyone out there know anyway to make them work again as i was told that there is a way you can do it {apart from tapping the neck which works for a few days}but never told how.its a shame all these tvs that are scrapped{some nearly new}because of the tubes.do philips recognise their tubes were faulty.must do.anyone any ideas

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2006, 12:05 AM

Post #2 of 10 (913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ernie] philips widescreen tubes [In reply to] Can't Post

The Chinese are buying and rebuilding and sending out as NEW!

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 13, 2006, 11:49 AM

Post #3 of 10 (904 views)
Shortcut

What actually is the issue with the tube, if it is going cathode heater short as per Sony, the cure is to isolate the heater. If the heater is earthed one end this is usual, cut print isolate both pins and wind 2 winds of wire around the arm of the flyback transformer as far away as you can from the main body of the tranformer, hook up to the isolated pins, check for 6,3V at hor. freq and its fixed. And Yes Chinese are buying tubes by the ship load and reinventing them into cheap new TVs here. It is technically illegal but no one seemsto want to know

shadetree
Veteran

Aug 13, 2006, 2:41 PM

Post #4 of 10 (903 views)
Shortcut

turn the tube upside down with anode plug on the bottom either turn the yoke around or switch the wires I switch the wires so I don't have to mess with the convergence then tap neck of tube with a scewdriver handle will work for a good while

ernie
User

Aug 13, 2006, 9:05 PM

Post #5 of 10 (890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] philips widescreen tubes [In reply to] Can't Post

i have tapped the neck on these tubes before and got them to work for a few days but i havent turned the tube upside down before i will try that one as i have two 32inch panosonics with tube problems.is there any logical reason why turning the tube upside down works.anythings worth a try.like you i would prefer to change the wires rather than turn the scan coils.thanks for the info now to get to work.fingers crossed

shadetree
Veteran

Aug 13, 2006, 10:11 PM

Post #6 of 10 (887 views)
Shortcut

because the wire that is bending will sag in the other direction and not short we used to do this to zenith tubes all the time

ernie
User

Aug 13, 2006, 11:23 PM

Post #7 of 10 (882 views)
Shortcut

i can see the reason now.if you are still around i have one tv that goes red then cuts out the other goes green then cuts out does turning the tube around apply in all cases

shadetree
Veteran

Aug 14, 2006, 1:05 AM

Post #8 of 10 (878 views)
Shortcut

I know it will work on the green and likely the red

ernie
User

Sep 8, 2006, 12:25 AM

Post #9 of 10 (826 views)
Shortcut

update on these tubes got two 32inch panosonics one went red the other green turned the tubes upside down lasted a few days and went again tried the same thing on a 28inch sanyo that went green and that one went after an hour now i thinck i will have to get to know a chinaman

rrobor
Veteran

Sep 8, 2006, 7:06 AM

Post #10 of 10 (817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] philips widescreen tubes [In reply to] Can't Post

Turning a tube upside down is not a flash idea, tubes are northern or southern hemisphere, so turn it upside down and geometry and purity are altered. In my side it is common to get sets with ultor caps at the bottom as they are from the other side. Getting sets imported by clients, often we turn the tubes upside down to fix these issues.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)