phillips tp3281 repair

pamminger
New User

Aug 17, 2007, 6:41 PM

Post #1 of 17 (2957 views)
Shortcut
phillips tp3281 repair Can't Post

Hello-
This set (philips tp3281 c101) fails to start: clicks once, then green 'power on?' light flashes 5 times in a row repeatedly; I checked other posts before submitting this one and find no burnt capacitor or any burning odor within the set as described in the other similiar sounding prblm posts; but did see reference to another very similiar post that referred to a 'flyback' transformer being replaced and based on the following: http://wa6ati.com/D7-DOC.pdf think the flyback transformer might be the likely culprit; My questions are, is this a difficult part to replace? what does it look like? where is it? how is it done? are there schematics available somewhere? etc. I'd like very much to salvage the set if it makes economic sense ie) not having to take it to have expensive repair done but rather DIY.

Sincerely, peter

kuhurdler
User

Aug 18, 2007, 2:15 PM

Post #2 of 17 (2941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pamminger] phillips tp3281 repair [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I am not yet convinced it is the flyback that is your culprit... replacing the flyback is not that difficult if you know how to solder. The flyback is the large plastic device with the thick red wire coming out of it. You won't need a schematic to replace it.

just make sure to discharge the CRT before you do anything.

-RiddledTV.com
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/

pamminger
New User

Aug 18, 2007, 3:53 PM

Post #3 of 17 (2937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kuhurdler] phillips tp3281 repair [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, thank you for your response!
After careful further review of the TV components, I did infact find a burnt ?capacitor (fried beyond recognition) on the main board chassis #32d700-7570. Seems exactly like the following post: http://ths.gardenweb.com/...msg070950163101.html ; So now I've replaced that capacitor with the only type match I could find locally avaliable, an 820k unit which is unfortunately not the 2kV type(or 3 kV recommended in the above post) that apparently is called for. There were burn marks around the legs of the old burnt capacitor on the board before I soldered the new part in, but the board seems? to be intact(has good continuity to surrounding components after soldering), and yet following replacement with the new lower voltage capacitor, the set still does the same thing: non-start! There is definitely no other obvious visual damage to the board or various other components elsewhere noted.
So should the 1 kV capacitor I installed be insufficient to start the set?(the guy that sold the 820k unit to me said it should work but would probably burn out shortly; I figured that if it worked momentarily/temporarily at least I'd know that this was the problem and could get the correct spec capacitor via mail order later) Now I'm not much further along then before and my wife is still breathing down my neck! Any suggestions before I cut and bail on the case?
Sincerely, peter

(This post was edited by pamminger on Aug 18, 2007, 11:07 PM)

techchris
Veteran

Aug 18, 2007, 5:39 PM

Post #4 of 17 (2923 views)
Shortcut

if its the blue disc capacitor they usually just burn up and when replaced all is well.occasionaly it takes out the horizontal out transistor as well so check it for short circuit collector to base or collector to emiter

pamminger
New User

Aug 18, 2007, 5:59 PM

Post #5 of 17 (2922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] phillips tp3281 repair [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi-
If it was a blue disk capacitor, I couldn't tell as it was burnt and no color or markings were recognizable on it to see what it was; But it is in the location described in the post in the link above, and the numbers surrounding it on the board are indeed 2633 and 2634. The surrounding components: resistors? do show continuity; But where are the components you referred to for me to check? I'm not clear about them. Are there schematics for the board or do you know the numbers surrounding the parts that I should check? I don't know what the base, collector, or emitter are.
Sincere thanks, peter

(This post was edited by pamminger on Aug 18, 2007, 6:05 PM)

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007, 9:31 PM

Post #6 of 17 (2909 views)
Shortcut

That cap is (820 pf @ 2kv). I use a 3kv when I replace.

pamminger
New User

Aug 18, 2007, 11:15 PM

Post #7 of 17 (2903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] phillips tp3281 repair [In reply to] Can't Post

Great, thanks very much!
Should the pF820 @1 kV capacitor that I placed at least momentarily/temporarily allow the set to function if that is what is wrong with the set to begin with? I felt like it should and now believe something else maybe awry as well; Any thoughts?
Sincerely, peter

(This post was edited by pamminger on Aug 19, 2007, 2:54 PM)

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007, 11:48 PM

Post #8 of 17 (2898 views)
Shortcut

I would replace with a 3 kv and then check for other problems and there may not be any other issues! If the cap is 2kv , never replace with a lower voltage rating, always replace with the same voltage or higher!

(This post was edited by Paulpablo on Aug 18, 2007, 11:52 PM)

pamminger
New User

Aug 20, 2007, 9:40 PM

Post #9 of 17 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] phillips tp3281 repair [In reply to] Can't Post

ok thanks! i've ordered the correct/recommended capacitor; i quess i'm just alittle confused why the other replacement pF820 @1kV wouldn't work at least for a short interval: perhaps i still don't understand capacitor physics clearly. could someone please take a minute to explain?
sincere thanks, peter

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2007, 1:15 AM

Post #10 of 17 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Go to Google or How stuff works!

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 21, 2007, 4:48 AM

Post #11 of 17 (2857 views)
Shortcut

Your 1KV may work for a few seconds at best then blow up. doing that you are liable to blow your transistor and/or your supply and be worse of than before. That capacitor will pulse at 14 to 1600V so your 1000V is way too low. Personally I use a 6KV they are 40c or so more but Ive never had one fail

pamminger
New User

Aug 21, 2007, 3:34 PM

Post #12 of 17 (2846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] phillips tp3281 repair [In reply to] Can't Post

Appreciate the input guys!
So can I assume that if nothing happened when I did turn the set on earlier with the 1 kV capacitor in place that I may already have had a problem elsewhere?
I was earnestly asking the question with the hope that a simple repair was still possible while I impatiently wait for the 3 kV units to arrive. Besides if you query Google with the question: 'Will a 1kV capacitor in position 2633/2634 of a Philips tp3281 TV work as opposed to a 2kV unit.......' it for some reason keeps referring you to this site!Angelic (Sorry Mr. PaulPablo I couldn't resist: but I suppose one novice, adolescent acting individual with an attitude is enough for any forum; So please accept my apology in advance!)
Seriously, I sincerely and greatly appreciate you guys taking the time to answer questions! As you might surmise, I am really anxious to see if you guys know, as it could give me some more hope(or conversely the motivation to give up) while the set sits in pieces in our 'now off limits to the kids' family room and my wife wonders what the heck I'm up to!
Thanks, Peter

techchris
Veteran

Aug 21, 2007, 5:46 PM

Post #13 of 17 (2839 views)
Shortcut

check to see if you have about 120 volts on the collector(centre) pin of the horizontal out transistor.this should tell us if the power supply is running or not.if no voltage measure the transistor for short circuit

pamminger
New User

Aug 21, 2007, 9:05 PM

Post #14 of 17 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Wanted to double check to be sure I had the right component for the 'horizontal out transistor' before I go checking voltage marked in the photo below:Thanks!

pamminger
New User

Aug 21, 2007, 9:16 PM

Post #15 of 17 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Well it looked like the photo would work, but I quess I was wrong! Anyway I believe I've located the 'horizontal out transistor' but wanted to double check: is it labeled BF819 and located in the back corner near where the power cord comes in with markings adjacent on the board reading "H" and 7610? It should have 120 VAC at the center pin right? Thank you, peter

techchris
Veteran

Aug 21, 2007, 9:50 PM

Post #16 of 17 (2813 views)
Shortcut

I dont have the service manual but the HOT is usually by the flyback transformer,its flat and fixed to a heatsink and should have about 120 volt DC on the collector(middle pin)

pamminger
New User

Aug 23, 2007, 7:18 PM

Post #17 of 17 (2795 views)
Shortcut

Hello-
Correct capacitors arrived today; New cap has been placed with good continuity; HOT(horizontal out) voltage checks at 120 vdc; Have continuity on the HOT between base, emitter, and collector but still get same error code from LED on front of set: continous 5 blinks then pause when try to start up the setPirate( Chassis # 32d700-7570). What should be checked nxt?
Sincerely, Peter

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)