Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
picture is 'jumping'

hoot
New User

Apr 27, 2009, 5:56 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1040 views)
Shortcut
picture is 'jumping' Can't Post

1998-99 Hitachi Ultravision, 52" screen, 3 gun projection TV. Approximately 20 seconds after the picture comes on, it will start to 'jump' a little for several seconds then stablize out. No more problems until TV is shut down and restarted. Looking for advice.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2009, 6:06 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hoot] picture is 'jumping' [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like either some bad capacitors in the vertical section or poor solder connections on the vertical IC. Can you please provide us with a model # and chassis #; with this information we might be able to provide you with exact components to look for -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

hoot
New User

Apr 27, 2009, 10:00 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] picture is 'jumping' [In reply to] Can't Post

projection tv is model 50ux26b, made in 1996. where do i find the chassis number?

BenJF3
New User

Apr 27, 2009, 11:17 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Check the horizontal output for cold solder joints. This was a very common problem on these sets and letting it go would result in catastrophic failure. The output shorts and the picture tubes get phosphorus burns because of it. DO NOT use the set until you check this out. Generally tapping around the chassis can help isolate cold solder joints. Just be careful if you are not experienced because there is high voltage.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1022 views)
Shortcut

I agree with user 'BenJF3' the only thing I can find in my notes for that symptom is poor solder connections.

My notes indicate it's in the vertical section (around the vertical IC as well as the vertical IC itself)

** Like 'Ben' said while you have the chassis out re-solder around the Horizontal Output Transistor area as well, he is absolutely right about burning permanent lines into the phosphorus on the tubes. I've seen this happen and the only way to correct this, if it happens, is to change all 3 tubes. So get soldering. -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

BenJF3
New User

May 2, 2009, 5:54 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] picture is 'jumping' [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it could be in the vertical circuit as well. As a rule of thumb, whenever I do a repair I always inspect the chassis for poor/cold solder joints. I had a number of Hitachi Projection sets that burned the tubes because the customer let the problem go. You can still use the set after the tubes burn, but you will always have spots in the picture, so as Repair Man said "get to soldering".

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)