Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
power surge repair

SKeown
New User

May 30, 2014, 6:48 AM

Post #1 of 13 (2659 views)
Shortcut
power surge repair Can't Post

during a recent storm my lights went off momentarly, since then my 1 1/2 year old 55" Samsung LED TV wont turn on. It does however have a faint flicker at the bottom of the screen.

I would like to attempt to fix it even though I know nothing about electronics repair. If you were to shoot from the hip what component would you replace first, the power supply?

jts1957
Veteran

May 30, 2014, 8:23 AM

Post #2 of 13 (2657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKeown] power surge repair [In reply to] Can't Post

A power supply is made from quite a few 'component's. So is a Main board. And since doing ANY research on a "1 1/2 year old 55" Samsung LED TV" is likely to either produce zero or too many results to consider perusing ... (http://www.tv-forums.com/...;;page=unread#unread)

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on May 30, 2014, 8:25 AM)

mel
Veteran

May 30, 2014, 8:35 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2636 views)
Shortcut

Go to elektroTanya.com and see if that list your "MODEL NUMBER" for a service manual to download. If so, it might give you trouble shooting instructions but without equipment or knowledge I doubt it will help you. PAY A TV REPAIR PERSON if you want it fixed.

SKeown
New User

May 31, 2014, 10:38 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] power surge repair [In reply to] Can't Post

I kind of like the challenge of possibly rescuing the thing, I feel too many things are scrapped unnecessary. The local repair shop that Samsung recommends wants to replace the power board right off for $400.00 before moving on to the next possible problem that might present itself.

Anyway I've removed the power and main boards and scrutinized them with a magnifying glass, nothing at all appears wrong. even the fuse on the power board isn't blown.

I realize there's the T-board to remove and examine, but if it looks okay then what else could it possibly be? Remember when it's turned on it doesn't make it's normal jingle, but does light up inside and displays a faint flickering toward the bottom of the screen.

I can buy the three boards off eBay for about $100.00, and I'm tempted to replace them all to see what happens. I feel it might be a worthwile gamble?

SKeown

Ron.M
Veteran

May 31, 2014, 11:23 PM

Post #5 of 13 (2622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] power surge repair [In reply to] Can't Post

mel;.....

He said;=>...

I would like to attempt to fix it even though I know nothing about electronics repair.

Then you said;=>...

Go to elektroTanya.com and see if that list your "MODEL NUMBER" for a service manual to download.

WHERE in the world did you get the idea that "he" would understand ANYTHING in the Service Manual ???
He knows NOTHING about electronics &/or repairs , yet you give him a website that maybe could get him an ELECTRONIC book he most likely will NOT understand MOST of!!!

Then you say;=>..

PAY A TV REPAIR PERSON if you want it fixed.

(Probably the BEST advice he's going to get)...
ARE you off your meds ???
IF you wanted him to see a TV Tech , why tell a NOVICE to go to a website & get a Service Manual ???
That's like giving you a scalpel & saying remove a person's brain tumer !!!!

He knows nothing about electronics yet he "scrutinized" the boards & "nothing at all appears wrong."..
HOW would someone who knows "nothing about electronics" determine that "nothing at all appears wrong."???..Crazy..

IF he would've given jts1957 & others here the model number that is advised in the link , I'm sure he would get more specific help...

THANK GOD I get my check next week because I'm going out to restore my sanity...Tongue...

BTW;....
Do you get a commission from "elektroTanya" ???

Later...Ron.M....Cool....(Crazy)...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

SKeown
New User

Jun 1, 2014, 1:37 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] power surge repair [In reply to] Can't Post

The Samsung model number is UN55EH6001. I have removed and inspected the T-con board, again just like the other two boards there is no visible sign of a problem.

I've reviewed some youtube videos on troubleshooting and see none of the obvious burns or bulges they suggest looking for.

I realize how difficult it is to help others without any practical experience like most of you have. I build drag racing engines and encounter the same thing with novice tinkerers. I do however assist the best I can.

(This post was edited by SKeown on Jun 1, 2014, 8:57 AM)

SKeown
New User

Jun 1, 2014, 8:48 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2614 views)
Shortcut

The odd thing is out of the three tv's in the house this is the only one plugged into a surge protector, and the only one on the blink.

Another symptom that may help you guys with experience, when I plug in the TV the back lighting comes on, but the remote does nothing. After a minute or so the back lighting starts flickering.

All I know to do is throw parts at it, and feel the power board at $21.00 delivered might be a good place to start?

Could it be something other than either the power board, the main board or the T-con board? Can either of those three prevent it from being able to be switched on and off by the remote, particularly the T-con board?

What I'm getting at is if the power board doesn't fix it, shouldn't I try the main board next? I watched a youtube about diagnosing tv's after a power surge failure. He said that if the lights in the house momentarily blinked off during a lightning storm (which they did) that one should focus on the power board.

I used this TV as a computer monitor via HDML, both the computer and cable box seem fine. So that leads me to feel the spike came through the power cord.

(This post was edited by SKeown on Jun 1, 2014, 9:15 AM)

xgc12
User

Jun 1, 2014, 8:06 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2599 views)
Shortcut

It takes hardly nothing to take out a newer television from a surge. Not sure where you are getting a power supply for that price but I wouldn't buy it. You will be more frustrated at purchasing a board blind and it coming doa and going on to the next board (mainboard) I would order from a reputable vendor that would take the board back and not give you a credit. My experience with newer tv's is if the surge protector is still good depending on model then I would look at the mainboard (took surge thru cable box) happens more than anyone would think. Good luck and please let us know the outcome. Also re-read you are purchasing from ebay be careful at that low of a price its probably a dud and also if there is no burnt spots especially on the panel under the power supply then first guess would be the main. Does the tv have audio?

Owner Atlantic Audio & Video
www.atlanticav.net
www.facebook.com/atlanticav

(This post was edited by xgc12 on Jun 1, 2014, 8:10 PM)

SKeown
New User

Jun 1, 2014, 10:33 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xgc12] power surge repair [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for you're input, No, there is no sound, and the remote or manual switch has no effect at all. I feel you are probably right that the main board is the likely culprit. Particularly since the fuse wasn't blown on the power board and there was no outward sign of damage. I went that route first because the local Samsung recommended shop said that 90% of the time the power board would be bad. They also said that the first they would do is replace it at $400.00.

I may go ahead and order a main board too. Could the tcon board be causing what I'm experiencing?

The power board was listed as unused and has a 14 day return policy. It was actually $28.01 instead of $21.00 and the seller has a 99.5% favorable rating.

xgc12
User

Jun 2, 2014, 12:42 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Wow at 400 bucks that is highway robbery. Most of our tv repairs are under 200 as its not cost effective for the customer. Did you tell the shop that the tv had took a surge? If so they may have done the estimate high since it could be more than one board that needs replacing. I would go ahead and get the power supply first at that price, hey could be an extra for later down the road if it the ps goes out. The t-conn would be the last thing I would look at from a surge. I would still go with a reputable vendor. That way you would have a warranty for just a few more bucks. Also make sure in the listing it is actually new as I find it hard to believe that the seller has a new board for that price. Read the listing carefully. A lot of sellers post the item as new but in reality come from a "working" tv.

www.atlanticav.net

(This post was edited by xgc12 on Jun 2, 2014, 12:52 AM)

SKeown
New User

Jun 2, 2014, 2:15 AM

Post #11 of 13 (2577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xgc12] power surge repair [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish you were local!! I explained in a phone conversation that the unit failed during a thunder storm. I was told that they would automatically replace the power board at a cost of $400.00, and be prepared to run into more expense as there are as many as five or six additional boards that could be faulty too. She went on to say that if the screen was damaged that it could cost $1000.00 for it alone.

The power board was alleged to be new for $28.01 and the main board is aleged to be out of a cracked screen TV for $57.95 delivered. Both vendors have excellent reputations, but the one selling the main board doesn't offer a return policy.

I realize that an experienced professional could perform test to establish exactly whats wrong. I'm just a hack that gets pleasure out of such challenges.

Thanks for you're help!! I will get the main board as you recommend.

SKeown
New User

Jun 6, 2014, 3:00 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Update, The $57.95 main board fixed it!! Apparently the spike came through the cable box. Thanks for the help!!

xgc12
User

Jun 6, 2014, 9:49 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Awesome glad it worked for you. Enjoy!

www.atlanticav.net

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)