Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
power switch replacement

tomthumb
New User

Apr 29, 2006, 12:12 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1458 views)
Shortcut
power switch replacement Can't Post

I need to remove the small power switch from the main board to a spot on the outside of the tv box. Is this possible? WOuld i jst desolder the switch and carefuly solder wires to the board and extend them to the new location of the switch? Could Iextend wires fro mthe board to a more sturdy type of switch?

tvdude
New User

Apr 29, 2006, 12:57 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tomthumb] power switch replacement [In reply to] Can't Post

yes you can to all. you can probably find a push button type switch that will mount into a 1/4" hole somewhere convient in the plastic case. it should be a momentary/ normally open switch.

tomthumb
New User

Apr 29, 2006, 3:01 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tvdude] power switch replacement [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you,

Now I have a question about the switch on the board. It has more that the two prongs that a normal momentary switch or toggle switch has. How do I know which prong goes to which wire? Also what gaughe wire should I use?

rrobor
Veteran

Apr 29, 2006, 4:08 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Leave the origional power switch alone, check the leads to that switch and see if there is a place you can cut into the power line and do so there. If not, get a terminal block and cut the mains lead inside the set and fit your switch there. But truth be told thats hard work for nothing, easiest way is get an extention cord with a power board and switch, wrap the mains cord up and use the power board switch leaving the tv switch on, no fuss no mess and all legal.

tomthumb
New User

Apr 29, 2006, 7:30 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] power switch replacement [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you,

I like your idea about using an extention cord. But the problem is that the tv doesn't stay on if unplugged. I mean if the plug is pulled then put back in the set does not come back on. Is there a way to change this? It is not for a regular tv set. I have revove the crt and mounted it in a sculpture. I can turn it on by the switch on the board but Iwant to make a safe switch for the purchaser of the piece.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2006, 12:15 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1432 views)
Shortcut

You have not explained why you need to do this delicate operation ! Is this a remote control TV?

tomthumb
New User

Apr 30, 2006, 6:42 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] power switch replacement [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the TV in question is an Orion model No. TV1934 2002 with a serial number of October 2002 0653210601367. The reason i need to do this delicate operation is to finish the sculpture you see below. It has two crts and two looping DVDs. I wanted to make an external on/of switch for the pruchaser of the piece. You raise an intersting point about the remote control. I don't know if it will go through the black plexi glass. But I still think it would be nice to have a switch.

rrobor
Veteran

May 1, 2006, 6:39 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1409 views)
Shortcut

It sounds like you have a tickle switch on the mains switch. Most mains switches cut both mains wires, this brings your set to stand-by. but on the end of that switch is a momentary contact switch. This usually grounds a pin on the micro or painter chip which takes the set from stand-by to power on. Some sets will work OK with this switch shorted out, some will not. If you have tools and a meter look at how many pins the switch has, do they connect to the mains etc. You could design a relay whose coil was fed via a capacitor, but that is a bit complex for an amateur.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)