Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
quick easy question

jdeaton01
New User

Feb 9, 2012, 3:41 AM

Post #1 of 5 (881 views)
Shortcut
quick easy question Can't Post

ok. i have a samsung tv. it has the blue green and red light. i took the lens off of the lights and cleaned them and then i noticed the blue light was a brown color. i took that part off under the lens and brown liquid come pouring out. can anyone tell me if this is suppose to be like this or what i can do to fix it. i was doing this because my picture was discolored.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012, 9:53 AM

Post #2 of 5 (871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdeaton01] quick easy question [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that quick or easy answer.

That brown liquid is supposed to be clear. The blue tube is always the first color that will turn cloudy because the blue wavelength is so intense that it bombards this liquid & eventually destroys it. This is also why you were having color issues (the whites in your picture where probably yellow because of lack of blue making it to the screen)

This liquid is called glycol it's used to keep the tube cool it is conductive & corrosive so if any got on the circuit boards you'll have to clean it all off before ever running the set again.

You'll have to replace the lens & refill that portion with fresh glycol; there is a seal or gasket that goes between that lens & the tube be very careful to not damage it or the new glycol will leak. There is a port on the side of the tube to refill this glycol it looks like a flexible rubber point. It will have to be removed; I think there are 3 screws holding it in place.

They glycol is poisonous (it's like anti-freeze) so wash your hands good after handling it.

It's much easier to refill this with the tube out of the set BUT it's difficult to re-align or converge the 3 colors once the tube has be removed & replaced.

If you decide to remove the tube, Do not remove the high voltage wire from the tube (that leads into the side of the tube) it's the part that looks like a big suction cup, instead remove this wire from the high voltage divider.

If glycol did get on the circuit boards thoroughly wash them with water & dry with rags or sponges then blow dry with hair dryer.

Here is link that describes what glycol is

http://www.ehow.com/about_5894189_types-cool-projection-tv-tube.html

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Feb 11, 2012, 2:17 AM)

jdeaton01
New User

Feb 10, 2012, 2:51 PM

Post #3 of 5 (852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] quick easy question [In reply to] Can't Post

exactly what i needed to know. where can i find glycol. and you say it suppose to be clear? the other two colors are the same color as the light but i guess the glycol will eventually turn the same color as the light? im guessing? and one more question, when i look through the lens on the red its crystal clear, the green looks hazy or milky, then the blue was like i said brown. does this mean i should replace the green glycol as well?? thanks for your help

techchris
Veteran

Feb 10, 2012, 11:00 PM

Post #4 of 5 (840 views)
Shortcut

before you waste time and effort changing the fluids, make sure all spillage onto boards is cleaned off and the boards are not damaged or you will have a tv which will cost more than it's worth to repair. Change the green coolant as well and don't forget that fluid is poisonous, corrosive and probably carcinogenic .

Repair man
Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2012, 2:12 AM

Post #5 of 5 (835 views)
Shortcut

Yes!! take the advice of ' techchris ' before going any further with this repair.

Here's a source to buy coolant
http://www.suburban-electronics.com/display/FC-16/Fluid-Coolant

Here are some videos I found on YouTube of people that show how they change coolant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5uhl4zBMnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRQBNjHlgqA

http://www.ehow.com/how_7733802_change-coolant-hitachi-projection-tv.html

Any TV I've ever changed coolant in the glycol was clear; not sure if some manufacturer's use colored coolant??? When looking in the top of the tube you can see the colored phosphorus on the top of each tube (red, green & blue).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)