Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
scratched crt glass

solid.bs
New User

Dec 18, 2005, 5:17 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1564 views)
Shortcut
scratched crt glass Can't Post

Hi everyone! I have a relatively new 32 inch RCA CRTWink with a couple of scratches in a small area of the glassUnsure. What can I do to fix this problem? Thanks so much.

Mike

mel
Veteran

Dec 18, 2005, 5:52 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [solid.bs] scratched crt glass [In reply to] Can't Post

Use some regular white toothpaste and a buffing wheel in a drill motor and just buff the scratches out. It will leave a shiney spot where you buff but it is not noticeable while watching TV.

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 18, 2005, 7:01 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] scratched crt glass [In reply to] Can't Post

Crap, I spent two weeks of odd nights with a cloth and toothpaste, as an immigrant with no cash to get a spot out. Never thought of a buffer. It didnt last long though, 14 years later the tuning cap gave out and drilled a hole in the neck. Ah well, such is life.

solid.bs
New User

Dec 18, 2005, 3:47 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] scratched crt glass [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you give me a detailed step-by-step process... i'm not really much of a handyman. What buff grit size should be used, which direction should it be applied? Also, how do I tell whether my tv has an anti-reflective coating or somethign like that that I will ruin when I buff and therefore, make the problem worse?

Rrobor... did the tuning cap give out because you tried to buff the tv... or because it was old?

truerollers
New User

Dec 18, 2005, 6:21 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Maybe the glass scratch repair kit for windshields would work? Never done it so this is just a suggestion.

mel
Veteran

Dec 23, 2005, 5:51 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Not very complicated. Just use some white Colgate toothpaste and a 2" cotton buffing wheel. It doesn't matter if you buff across the scratch or with it, it will buff out. Don't worry about hurting the tube. The face is just plain glass and it is about 1/2" thick.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)