Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
setting up vcr

a. palmer jr.
New User

May 9, 2009, 7:36 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1565 views)
Shortcut
setting up vcr Can't Post

I'm trying to set up a new vcr on my old tv. The last vcr used co-ax cable for the input and output; unfortunately the new vcr doesn't have co-ax out. I hooked it up using the red, yellow, and white cables provided but the vcr wouldn't supply a signal to the tv. In the instructions it says to use the audio video mode on the tv when using this setup. I didn't think my tv had such a mode but since wondered if it's channel 00 instead of channel 3. Can anybody enlighten me on the right way to install this vcr or should I merely take it back and try to find a new one with rf (co-ax) input?

techchris
Veteran

May 9, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a. palmer jr.] setting up vcr [In reply to] Can't Post

to receive signal via red white yellow cables the tv needs to be switched to A/V input not one of the normal tv channel numbers. the tv's instruction book should tell you if it is A/V 1,2 or 3. I have not seen a vcr with RF output for years.

rrobor
Veteran

May 9, 2009, 8:04 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1561 views)
Shortcut

Unfortunately you do not tell us where you are or what your TV is. Switching to 00 is an old European standard of perhaps 20 years ago. Philips used to use this in the 2BXXX range, if thats your TV then OK, but life moves on so now select AV. If you wish to chut the VCR down you could always split the antenna to 2 outputs.

a. palmer jr.
New User

May 9, 2009, 11:39 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] setting up vcr [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a 31" RCA television which I purchased from them back in 1998 before the factory moved to Mexico. It has a GE brand name but was made by RCA. I've looked through the users manual and can't find anything on AV. I turned the tv to 00 yesterday and it had a black picture and up at the top it said video and unusable signal. That was while connected to co-ax.

(This post was edited by a. palmer jr. on May 9, 2009, 11:43 AM)

shadetree
Veteran

May 9, 2009, 1:23 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1553 views)
Shortcut

if tv has av inputs it will work you don't have the tv switched on the right input

a. palmer jr.
New User

May 9, 2009, 3:47 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] setting up vcr [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, here's what's happened so far: I unboxed the vcr (was ready to take it back), hooked up all the yellow, red, and white cables from satellite box to vcr and then to tv, turned the tv to 00 and it started working! The only problem I have now is I can't tape a tv show from local channels if I should want to. My tv is so old that it needs a digital conversion box which has co-ax in and out. I tried piggy-backing the red, yellow, white, cables from digital box onto the vcr (where the satellite feed comes in) but then it had video only, it more or less muted the sound, so I disconnected the cables, all but the co-ax out, from the digital converter and now I can watch local channels but not tape them unless I want to rearrange the cables again. I have to turn it to channel 3 for locals. Probably sometime soon I'll buy a new LCD flat screen and it'll have all the new stuff I'll need. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)