Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
sharp 36U-S50

squeabs
New User

Jan 26, 2009, 4:26 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1265 views)
Shortcut
sharp 36U-S50 Can't Post

A friend recently gave me a Sharp television, model # 36U-S50. Knowing that it had a blank screen issue, I said I'd see if I can get it to work. The friend said her nephew was playing with the remote one day and the screen went blank from top to bottom. When I hook a television cable or Xbox A/V hookups to it, I can hear the audio, but the screen is still blank.
The menu options show up fine; I can even scroll through the menu options.
Any ideas as to what is wrong with this television?

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2009, 12:05 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squeabs] sharp 36U-S50 [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was anything your friend's nephew had done then it may have been placed in a parental lock-out mode.

If this is the case, for most sets to get it out of parental mode you hold the power button on the remote for 60 seconds; if that doesn't work try holding the power button on the TV itself for 60 seconds. Give it a try -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

squeabs
New User

Jan 27, 2009, 2:22 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squeabs] sharp 36U-S50 [In reply to] Can't Post

That didn't work.
Would it help to mention it has V-Chip on it?
When I go to "Parental Controls", it asks for a Secret No. I have followed instructions to reset V-Chip by holding the channel down and volume plus buttons until the "Enter Secret No." message goes away, then press menu twice on the television.
Would that be the issue? Every time I go back to "Parental Controls" it still asks for a "Secret No.".

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.12 s on (CGI/1.1)