sharp 66DS05H

ikc2
New User

May 18, 2009, 8:58 PM

Post #1 of 7 (658 views)
Shortcut
sharp 66DS05H Can't Post

hi,
having an annoying problem with this set, when turned on and tuned to any station there is a slight whistling sound coming from the speakers it get louder if its in mono, any ideas on why this is happening?

rrobor
Veteran

May 19, 2009, 4:42 AM

Post #2 of 7 (650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ikc2] sharp 66DS05H [In reply to] Can't Post

Turn the sound off, is the whistle still there. Chances are its not a sound fault but a high frequency whistle fron some coil or other. These things are hard to place especially for a male. If you have a daughter whose ears have not been destroyed by loud music, she would have a better idea where the noise is from. The usual is slack coils, they can start and stop as the set heats up. You can have tube heaters or the coils around the neck. You can also have two components very lightly touching they can chirp like some demented cricket.

ikc2
New User

May 19, 2009, 6:19 PM

Post #3 of 7 (644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] sharp 66DS05H [In reply to] Can't Post

when the sound is mute the sound is there, the whistling only happens sometimes and the tube get makes a buzzing noise louder than normal when a white picture is displayed, i've only got this set working again after a major fault and it took me three years to fix so i don't really want to go routing for the problem as i might break it again.

jts1957
Veteran

May 19, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #4 of 7 (642 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
when the sound is mute the sound is there, the whistling only happens sometimes and the tube get makes a buzzing noise louder than normal when a white picture is displayed, i've only got this set working again after a major fault and it took me three years to fix so i don't really want to go routing for the problem as i might break it again.

Just out of curiosity, what was the fault (symptom) and fix (cure) that took 3 years to solve?

-------------------------

ikc2
New User

May 19, 2009, 8:16 PM

Post #5 of 7 (641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] sharp 66DS05H [In reply to] Can't Post

it was hit by lightning completely fried the processor, it was left in a repair shop for the best part of a year, they said they couldn't fix, so i was searching for the processor for ages and when i found it it was to expensive, so i spent ages on ebay looking for a tv with the same chassis type and i found one and had it delived then i just put the new chassis into it and bingo.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

May 20, 2009, 12:36 AM

Post #6 of 7 (635 views)
Shortcut

rrobar has probably diagnosed your problem as I have been in this business a long time, far longer than I wanted to!

rrobor
Veteran

May 20, 2009, 5:29 AM

Post #7 of 7 (626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] sharp 66DS05H [In reply to] Can't Post

Its not so hard to find with the back off, all you need is a plastic rod or wooden spoon etc , take the back off and run the set. Now this is in the scan section tube or tube base but hope for the scan section. When its chirping put a bit of pressure on any coil you see with your push stick. Now do not use too much pressure as its quite easy to shove something and slightly bend the board so causing the faulty coil which you are not on to stop whistling. Another trick to test if its tube heaters etc is use a screwdriver, handle to your ear and blade to tube neck, You got to take care not to slip though.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)