Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
tuner

cf
New User

Jul 8, 2007, 1:44 AM

Post #1 of 17 (1450 views)
Shortcut
tuner Can't Post

i have a 19 in memorex tv, it wont stay on the chanel.. i have to turn the tv off and back on, then a few minuts later it does it again.. i have replace the old tuners of years ago ,but these new tvs i have never messed with.. any help, thanks

techchris
Veteran

Jul 8, 2007, 5:20 PM

Post #2 of 17 (1440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cf] tuner [In reply to] Can't Post

if its a small silver box tuner, squeeze it gently and if it goes off tune then change it,unless you can be bothered to try resoldering all the connections inside.

cf
New User

Jul 8, 2007, 6:43 PM

Post #3 of 17 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] tuner [In reply to] Can't Post

i was told that these newer tvs are all electronic.. i can solder and do have the tools.. i took it apart and cant see any silver box.. like i said on the old tvs i just sprayed some tuner claner in and it worked..could it be something besides the tuner?

(This post was edited by cf on Jul 8, 2007, 7:24 PM)

techchris
Veteran

Jul 8, 2007, 9:48 PM

Post #4 of 17 (1432 views)
Shortcut

if not the tuner check the 33volt supply is not drifting,usually stabilised by a zener diode

cf
New User

Jul 9, 2007, 12:12 AM

Post #5 of 17 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by cf [In reply to]

cf
New User

Jul 9, 2007, 12:19 AM

Post #6 of 17 (1425 views)
Shortcut

where is the 33 volt supply? i can pull the circut board out and the on off etc, controls on the front of the tv, are operated with push buttons on the circut board/ my son said it started after he bumpef the tv..

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 10, 2007, 12:51 PM

Post #7 of 17 (1406 views)
Shortcut

Try this: Of course first make sure the set is off and unplugged, remove (unsolder) the tuner (silver box) expose the foil side (printed circuit board) solder the grounds that connect to the chassis of the box and any other grounds you can find. Be careful not to over solder or splash solder on to other joints. reinstall and let us know how it goes.
----------------------------------------------------------
When everyone treats you bad, turn to your dog, he or she will understand!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I dont mind working, as long as it doesn't interfere with fishing!

cf
New User

Jul 10, 2007, 7:36 PM

Post #8 of 17 (1398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RetiredTVguy2] tuner [In reply to] Can't Post

could this be other than the tuner? when i first turn tv on it plays perfect, five minus later picture breaks up.. i turn tv of for five minuts again it plays perfect.. the only silver box i see is where the coax comes in for the antena, then 1 other silver box next to it that has another jumper coax to it..

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 11, 2007, 12:19 PM

Post #9 of 17 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Is there any way you can send me a picture of that? Do you have a digital camera?
Don

cf
New User

Jul 11, 2007, 2:56 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1384 views)
Shortcut

i dont have a camera.. this circuit board slides under the picture tube..at the front of the circut board theres small push buttons on the board that operat the on off volume chanel up down.. at the back side (picture tube )yoke side theres 2 silver boxes.. the antena gos in one then a jumper from that to a larger silver box..maybe its something else..

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 11, 2007, 4:11 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1378 views)
Shortcut

Ok then you are going to have to discribe those box's to me to a tee. What are the dementions of the box that the cable (or antenna) coax connects to? length by hight. Im trying to determin if that first box is the tuner or just an isolator. Some TV's have isolator's and on some the coax connects right to the tuner. I may be able to tell from the dementions.

cf
New User

Jul 11, 2007, 5:22 PM

Post #12 of 17 (1376 views)
Shortcut

the fist silver box were the antena gos in is 1x1 inch square, 2 inches from it is another box with cox to it, its 2inch by 1/12 inch x1inch thick. numbers 6119-15501 8622 env56d43g3 thats the only boxes on the board.. this boar has a lot of resisters and diods.. could it be something of this nature? i do have a ohm meter..thanks for help..im retired and cant aford to get a new tv at this time.. and im sure for a tv shop just to look at it is money..
update.... i was playing with the larger box and put my finger under the circut board the the picture would come on.. also i can see where the tuner if its the tuner plugs into the circut board on the bottom there 2 places that have no solder.. would this be the proplem? should i drop some solder in?

(This post was edited by cf on Jul 11, 2007, 10:04 PM)

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 12, 2007, 11:24 AM

Post #13 of 17 (1360 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by RetiredTVguy2 [In reply to]

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 12, 2007, 11:37 AM

Post #14 of 17 (1359 views)
Shortcut

Ok I dont know what happened to my reply but here it is again, the first box is an isolator as I suspected, the other box is the tuner, (dont forget to unplug the set) first try soldering the pins and the chassis pins (may look like tabs) to the circuit board, DO NOT solder any pins that dont already have solder on them, they probably dont even connect to a trace. Use fresh solder you may even want to desolder the old solder out, do you have desoldering braid? If not dont worry about it just solder the pins. Then see if the set works. If not then you will have to do what I said earlier, remove the tuner and solder inside. Let us know hoe it went.
Good luck Wink

cf
New User

Jul 12, 2007, 10:11 PM

Post #15 of 17 (1350 views)
Shortcut

tvguy2.. yes theres 3 pins in the tuner(big box) that has no solder,im taking it the trace is a circut? if im right i wont solder these 3 pins.. the chassis pins on each corner of the box look like tabs.. i dont know what you mean .. where do i ground them ? also i have no desoldering braid.. i have a 100 watt gun, and a 15 watt iron.. first i will use the iron as to not get everything to hot, im not a pro, but i have done it.. i will let you know shortly.. thanks ken
update... used the soldering iron, droped a little solder around.. turned tv on works good.. it must not of had a good contact.. thanks tvguy. ken

(This post was edited by cf on Jul 12, 2007, 10:55 PM)

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 13, 2007, 11:36 AM

Post #16 of 17 (1337 views)
Shortcut

CONGRATS!!!! Cool Glad you used the 15W iron, 100w can burn/damage the board. The trace is the "foil" lines that lead to each pin, care must be taken not to damage them, too much heat can lift the trace off the board.
You do not have to connect any grounds, those chassis pins are the grounds, and they connect to the ground/earth trace. Careful tho some grounds can be "hot".
Do you have a "Radioshack" where you live? If so go there and ask for some solder braid. you heat the braid on the solder joint with your iron, when the solder melts the braid soaks up the old solder, good thing to have.
Have a good one and once again a great big CONGRATS!!!!!Wink
Don

cf
New User

Jul 13, 2007, 11:02 PM

Post #17 of 17 (1332 views)
Shortcut

yes i have a radio shack, thats where i bought my gun and iron.. i used 60 40 solder when i did it.. tv works good.. when i get a chance i will get some solder braid.. again thanks a lot.. ken

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)