Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
white lines flashing

neonspeed
New User

Sep 24, 2006, 8:47 PM

Post #1 of 13 (1550 views)
Shortcut
white lines flashing Can't Post

i have a 60" projection model # 7p6051 c101 and chassis # ptv780 ah01 phillips magnavox.

every so often i get little white lines flashing across the screen, example in the middle of watching a show/movie everything will look good but then a white line will flash and it keeps doing it every so often. now i did a coolant change on it and i was focusing the red crt and a little coolant dripped on the signal board but i cleaned it up with alcohal if this is causing the problem do i need a whole new board or is there a certain part on the board i can replace to solve this?

Larry E
User

Sep 25, 2006, 12:37 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [neonspeed] white lines flashing [In reply to] Can't Post

you`ve probably missed some of the coolant and it has run under an IC somewhere, tough problem to find usually, best bet is to remove the board and flood it with a cleaner like blue shower or alcohol and pray that you get it all this time, I`ve seen times when I`ve had to remove IC`s to get it all out, Larry E

neonspeed
New User

Sep 25, 2006, 4:42 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Larry E] white lines flashing [In reply to] Can't Post

so it wont hurt the board at all if i take it out and just dump alcohal on it? and how should i dry it let it sit out of the tv, or a hair dryer or something? oh and there is little metal covers that are soldered down to cover some of the dials and stuff how do i get the collant out of there?

(This post was edited by neonspeed on Sep 25, 2006, 4:43 PM)

neonspeed
New User

Sep 25, 2006, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1523 views)
Shortcut

ok now i washed it all off with alcohal and now the picture is real dark and the red is really bright, could this be from changing the dials posisition (the dials that are covered by the metal plates? and if this is the problem which dials would fix this? im starting to think i might need a new board if so does anybody know how much or where i can get one at?

Larry E
User

Sep 26, 2006, 12:33 AM

Post #5 of 13 (1520 views)
Shortcut

your going to have to upload a picture, I have no idea what dials with metal plates could be ? Larry E

neonspeed
New User

Sep 27, 2006, 11:04 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1502 views)
Shortcut

these are the dials i was talking about not sure what they do, you have any idea?
Attachments: dials.jpg (92.9 KB)

Larry E
User

Sep 27, 2006, 2:01 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1498 views)
Shortcut

neonspeed, now your screwed, without an oscilloscope and the complete service manual and the technical knowledge to do a complete alignment that sets never going to be right again, those coils are set at the factory and almost NEVER need adjustment again, you will have to take the set to a shop and tell the tech what you have done so he/she doesn`t spend a week replacing tuner, IC`s etc. etc. Once the shop does a complete alignment and if you have gotten all the fluid off the board it should work fine, Learn from this mistake, don`t adjust anything in your tv without knowing what the adjustment is for, all you had to do was post a picture and ask "should I adjust these" and we would have said "never", take it in and have it aligned by a professional, Larry E

neonspeed
New User

Sep 27, 2006, 2:32 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1494 views)
Shortcut

larry if i take the board without the tv to a repair shop would they be able to adjust them or do i have to take the whole tv? and how much do you think they will charge?

Larry E
User

Sep 27, 2006, 5:04 PM

Post #9 of 13 (1489 views)
Shortcut

The whole set has to go, will need a complete re-alignment of the video detector circuit, AGC & AFT
circuits, I don`t know where you live so I can`t give you any real dollar estimates, it really depends
on how much you turned each of the controls, it`s of course more expensive to get something fixed in
a large city than it does in a small town, it would be very difficult for any tech to know until he gets into
the set and starts making the adjustments, Make CERTAIN you show him what you adjusted, it will cost
a lot less if the tech knows why the picture is the way it is, good luck, Larry E

neonspeed
New User

Sep 28, 2006, 10:29 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1482 views)
Shortcut

what are these adjustments for? and why are they so hard to get back to factory setting?

Larry E
User

Sep 28, 2006, 2:17 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1479 views)
Shortcut

AFT is automatic fine tuning, AGC is automatic gain control, and the last and most critical (in your case) is the video detector, your video detector circuit is probably way off, these circuits are like the "timing" on your car, if their off your tv won`t function correctly, Larry E

neonspeed
New User

Sep 30, 2006, 11:27 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1454 views)
Shortcut

larry, i got the audio, and the picture still and everything is running fine. i just played with the knobs while changing the channel for the aft, and i changed the video untill it stopped jumping around so i fixed everything as far as i can see. my question is it just a matter of playing around with these settings once you figure out what they do or should i be expecting the tv to do something?

Larry E
User

Oct 1, 2006, 9:50 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Once they`ve been mis-adjusted it would be sheer luck to get it without a service manual and an oscilloscope, Larry E

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)