Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
wood-framed RCA

shiftless
New User

Nov 27, 2005, 8:59 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1251 views)
Shortcut
wood-framed RCA Can't Post

Hi, I have an 88 RCA TV, one of the wood framed models. I love this TV! But unfortunately there is a problem with it. When watching it, every 10-15 minutes or so it randomly "cuts out". What I mean is it acts like the power to it was removed for a split second. The picture and sound goes out, then a second later comes back on, in the same manner it does when you first turn it on, but a lot quicker cause it's already warmed up. I have been trying to see if I can detect a pattern to this behavior but it seems completely random.

I am thinking there may be some problem in the power supply circuitry? If someone who has seen this problem before can give me some good pointers, I believe I can fix the problem myself. I have some experience with electronics troubleshooting and repair though I have never worked on a TV before and I don't have an o-scope.

Thanks!

shadetree
Veteran

Nov 27, 2005, 9:06 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shiftless] wood-framed RCA [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like a loose solder connection tap on tv chassis with screwdriver handle while holding mirror in front of screen be carefull what you touch

shiftless
New User

Nov 27, 2005, 10:06 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] wood-framed RCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, thanks, I'll try that and report back.

shiftless
New User

Nov 28, 2005, 9:40 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1242 views)
Shortcut

Well I took off the back cover and blew all the dust out. Got to thinking and that heat may have been the problem, it seemed like the problem occured when the TV was warmed up and there was a lot of action on the screen. Didn't happen often when on the DVD blue screen for instance. I think a component in the power supply may have been overheating from the dust buildup. Played a movie after blowing out the dust, and it seems to be working good now. If this ain't the end of it I'll let you know.

While I'm here, what can you tell me about calibrating the picture (greyscale, colors, etc)? This TV has horizontal and vertical adjustment, RGB bias/drive, picture, and focus adjustment pots on the back. I would like to improve the calibration without having to buy a bunch of expensive equipment. If I acquire Video Essentials or that Aria disc can I calibrate it by eye to be fairly close to what it needs to be? I mainly use it for DVD playback and I'm using S-Video.

The picture seems a little off right now, black is not black enough, and if you turn the brightness down to fix it there is not enough contrast (everything is too dark). Also the image seems a little too red and greens are not right. Tint doesn't fix it, just makes it look weird. I would like to improve the calibration if possible. Thanks!

(This post was edited by shiftless on Nov 28, 2005, 9:43 AM)

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2005, 10:00 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Well if you do a serch on some of my older post you will run across a statment I make that goes like this " Tv's age like cats " So what your saying is your soon to be 18 year old cat just aint as frisky as he used to be. Well blowing dust off componets never fixes them, however taping the board or moving componet will temparly fix a cold solder joint, this sound like your problem, Could bet my life that there are several capacitor that are weak from age. but once again a 18 year old cat? how far you want to go?
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

shiftless
New User

Nov 29, 2005, 8:03 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] wood-framed RCA [In reply to] Can't Post

Blowing dust off the components *did* fix it. I have played several movies since doing so, without a single glitch. I didn't tap on anything.

The picture is not bad at all, looks pretty good actually, though I would like to calibrate it to whatever extent is possible without special tools (other than a test pattern DVD). This TV may be 18 years old, but it's far better than the Chinese junk available nowadays, at least the stuff that is available for a reasonable price.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)