Chassis number?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bogart219
User

Jul 25, 2009, 4:16 PM

Post #76 of 98 (2853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Chassis number? [In reply to] Can't Post

JTS, Yeah your right , I had those Fet's mislabled on that picture. I remeasured pins #7 to #8 and it is still about
3.1 mega ohms. (out of circuit).

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but so far we got four bad parts. QX402, IC 3401,R3415 , Qx401.

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/bogey219/IMG_0011.jpg

Also that 4 amp main fuse. I sent an email to mouser electronics (I'm set up with them), to see if they have, can get or cross over thses parts. On their website
QX402 crossed over to an nte2397 and IC3401 (minus the -H on the end) crossed to a nte1765.
Hopefully they can cross the other two.
As soon as I get a reply from them I will let you know.
Anything else you want me to do or check? later

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 25, 2009, 6:08 PM

Post #77 of 98 (2850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bogart219] Chassis number? [In reply to] Can't Post

Retest after perusing testing MOSFET section of link below. I don't believe IS bad.
QX401 G to D - continuity (beep) one way, reverse leads nothing
D to S - .491 one way, reverse leads, nothing (I suspect you had "turned on" - see link below)
G to S - nothing either way

"The usual failure mode: GS short AND DS short. In other words, everything connected together."
One of many sources to find out how to test MOSFETs.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/semitest.htm

-------------------------

bogart219
User

Jul 25, 2009, 8:40 PM

Post #78 of 98 (2843 views)
Shortcut

Hey JTS, I tested that QX401 according to that link you gave me. I did these test:
Testing MOSFETs
(From: Paul Mathews (optoeng@whidbey.com).)

1. Verify gate has infinite resistance to both drain and source.

2. Connect gate to source. Drain to source should act like a diode.

3. Forward bias GS with ~5 V. DS in forward bias should measure very low ohms. In reverse bias, it will still act like a diode.

It tested out GOOD by these test ! Will remove from list! This good news cause that chip is harder to find I think.

bogart219
User

Jul 27, 2009, 11:24 AM

Post #79 of 98 (2829 views)
Shortcut

Hey JTS, Any else to check or are we ready to order parts?

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 27, 2009, 1:58 PM

Post #80 of 98 (2828 views)
Shortcut

One can never say with absolute certainty that "That's All," but based on all information available and provided between all parties, and not having the set in front of ME ... go for it!

How's that for a "disclaimer?"

bogart219
User

Jul 27, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #81 of 98 (2826 views)
Shortcut

I hear yaSmile I'm going to order QX402, IC 3401,R3415 .
Those cross over to nte should be alright huh? AS soon as I get these parts and put them back in I'll will report back here.(hopefully good news). Thanks once more jts for the directionSmile

bogart219
User

Jul 27, 2009, 4:12 PM

Post #82 of 98 (2824 views)
Shortcut

JTS, I checked RX3435 (a thermister?), When I moved it a little, one of the legs seperated from the disk (about the size of a nickel). I tried to solder it back on and the thing broke apart. Its a #63-11119 , 779344 . do you think I could find this somewhere or use something in its place? Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 27, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #83 of 98 (2822 views)
Shortcut

This is exactly what Ron was pointing out (You're slipping back into your old habits).
Degaussing thermistor. Go ahead and get one, should not have problem locating.
If not touched wouldn't have (most likely) "moved/leg separated." If you had posted before attempting your remedy, we could have told/warned you the disc is likely to crack/shatter if subjected to too great of heat buildup over too short of a period of time. Some people prefer to preheat part in an oven before attempting to reattach, I personally have done so many, with a variable temp iron, that its rare for one to crack on me, but it still happens.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 27, 2009, 5:08 PM)

bogart219
User

Jul 27, 2009, 6:07 PM

Post #84 of 98 (2818 views)
Shortcut

opps, screwed up againMad

bogart219
User

Jul 27, 2009, 11:33 PM

Post #85 of 98 (2813 views)
Shortcut

JTS, would a degaussing thermistor such as this one work?

http://www.newark.com/mcm/33-650/globar-thermistor-replacement-for/dp/38C4165

Still searching for that R3415 resistor, .15 ohm 3 watt.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 28, 2009, 12:38 AM

Post #86 of 98 (2812 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, schematic doesn't show even the resistance. As far as this problem - set will still work without it (degaussing won't work).

http://www.hbfelectronics.com/...m&item_id=308658
Says "discontinued" but checkout still gives a "Total." Not sure what that means. As you saw on the flyback a site can say one thing... You could e-mail them question. I've never used them.

http://www.digikey.com/ would have a suitable .15 3W resistor.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 28, 2009, 1:41 AM

Post #87 of 98 (2808 views)
Shortcut

bogart219:....
Just a little buttinski here....
The degaussing thermister you need is on a ton of older RCA chassis...
If you have an older RCA chassis with one on it , compare visually for physical size & thickness...
Should work OK....
The one at http://www.newark.com/mcm/33-650/globar-thermistor-replacement-for/dp/38C4165 looks good to me electronically....
It also should work OK....

Later....Ron.M...Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 28, 2009, 1:55 AM)

bogart219
User

Jul 28, 2009, 2:04 AM

Post #88 of 98 (2802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Chassis number? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys, will order partsSmile

bogart219
User

Jul 29, 2009, 12:31 AM

Post #89 of 98 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Hey guys, Here is the resistor I need to replace, BRP38, .15 ohm , 3 watt here are the specs :

http://www.koaspeer.com/resistors.asp?part=62

Do you think this one would work alright?

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=4141081+4294647505+4294576018

Thanks

(This post was edited by bogart219 on Jul 29, 2009, 12:52 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 29, 2009, 3:17 AM

Post #90 of 98 (2793 views)
Shortcut

bogart219:...

Either one of those WILL work....Sly.....
Electronically they are the same....
Just a physical difference in the way they look...
Try to get the one that looks like the one in your TV...

Gook Luck....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 29, 2009, 10:53 AM

Post #91 of 98 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Last time I replied the one who knows said ignore post 53 its now post 91 and the supply isnt working yet. then after that, you have to figure out what caused his origional fault. If you remember, taking half an hour to get a picture and Ill hold him to its not the tube. So before this poor guy spends another second of his life in this set, will someone please tell him the causes of what cause a picture to stay off for half an hour then be ok for the rest of the day. That way at least he is aware of what he is doing and if its for fun OK but if its to get a TV then PLEASE give him the facts. Might wait to about 140 before my next call.

bogart219
User

Jul 29, 2009, 12:23 PM

Post #92 of 98 (2784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Chassis number? [In reply to] Can't Post

rrobor,
Don't know exactly what your trying to say. What I did make out from your post was this you said.
"will someone please tell him the causes of what cause a picture to stay off for half an hour then be ok for the rest of the day."

The original problem was that when you first turned the set on the picture would be blue. After 45 to 60 minutes, the picture would come back on and be fine after that.
I found bad solder joints on a couple of resistors on the crt board. If I would of just resoldered them the set probably would of been fine. I screwed it up futher.
JTS1957 with help from Ron have been generous enough to help me see if I can get it working again.
I don't know why this bothers you so much. If I suceed fine. If I don't fine. I see it as a learning experience. Don't be so negative all the time. Miracles
do happenSmile

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 29, 2009, 1:32 PM

Post #93 of 98 (2781 views)
Shortcut

Ok I mixed it up a bit as I was going from memory but The fault you describe about the blue picture is not a tube base fault its an IF fault. So lets recap your issues you did something on the tube base, now you may or may not have fixed that. You have another fault in the IF and you have been fooling around with the FET. Now I can tell you there is a 50/50 chance the fet is open and there is no way you can tell. Most meters have a 9 volt battery you reverse biased a high impedance device with 9V chances are you destroy it, your first test is remove the FET and read every resistor etc and when you have done everything else fit a new FET. You are playing (from memory) with the PTC to degauss, I dont know why. If the fuse is OK the PTC is ok if its not your set still works. You have a bridge or 4 bridge diodes, are they OK you have a surge limit resistor is that OK. You now have checked up to the filter capacitor. CHECK IF ITS GOT A CHARGE if so discharge it. Read ohms from the electrolytic plus to the FET pin, is there one at zero or near zero ohms, if not why not. What is the start device, Is it 2 resistors from the mains filter, are they OK Now this is just the start so from a suspected IF fault you have possibly 2 more faults. So am I being negative, no Im being realistic. so as stated Ill return at post 140 or so and check progress

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 29, 2009, 9:03 PM

Post #94 of 98 (2774 views)
Shortcut

aarrrobhore:

bogart219
User

Jul 29, 2009, 9:55 PM

Post #95 of 98 (2771 views)
Shortcut

rrobar, see you at post 140Smile

bogart219
User

Jul 29, 2009, 9:58 PM

Post #96 of 98 (2769 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Ron, Wish I knew how to reply to quote without all that jibber jabbass showing upTongue

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 29, 2009, 10:14 PM

Post #97 of 98 (2766 views)
Shortcut

bogart219;

Thanks Ron, Wish I knew how to reply to quote without all that jibber jabbass showing up.

If you are talking about using the "Quote" feature ^^,that's easy & I'd be glad to teach you how to use it...Sly....
If you are talking about "xxxxxx's" commentary,Welllll that's another matter....
He has EVERY right to spout off with whatever he wants to say....Mad....
We do not neccessarily have to agree with him...Unsure....
There is no way we're going to shut him up,so we'll just have to put up with it....Mad....

Patience,my friend,patience!!!

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 30, 2009, 1:43 AM

Post #98 of 98 (2760 views)
Shortcut

Ok you dont like my post so here's the deal. Keep going and I wont enter your little love in. And because Ive had 3 posts here, to be fair lets make it post 144. Oh one exception, think thats a licence to insult me and all bets are off. So guys forget me and do your thing. See you later.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)