First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bogart219
User

Jul 7, 2009, 11:55 AM

Post #1 of 98 (7270 views)
Shortcut
Chassis number? Can't Post

Hi all'

Can someone tell me how you find out what chassis number a RCA tv has? I assume you can't go by model #. Do you have to look on the main board? I'm looking for a rca tv that has a chassis number anywhere from ctc130 to ctc169. Need the external focus/screen assembly off one. Thanks for any help!

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 7, 2009, 2:12 PM

Post #2 of 98 (7265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bogart219] Chassis number? [In reply to] Can't Post

No specific answer to that, some manufacturers write it on under the model number some on the board and more often not at all. If you go by numbers on the board its liable to be wrong. Often you can write your model into google like ABC456 chassis and get it that way.

shadetree
Veteran

Jul 7, 2009, 3:55 PM

Post #3 of 98 (7262 views)
Shortcut

there is a metal heat sink on the chassis that will have the ctc no. on a white label

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 7, 2009, 5:01 PM

Post #4 of 98 (7257 views)
Shortcut

bogart219:....

I assume you can't go by model #. Do you have to look on the main board?

YES , you can...Google it with quotes >"xxx"<...You'll find some listings that "may" have the chassis # in the wording...
If this is an older RCA projection TV ,chances are it's a CTC 169 chassis...
But , be advised that that chassis uses more than 1 type of screen/focus block...Your model # is what you need to go by...
The most common type of screen/focus controls for that chassis part # is 204809 & easily gotten for $17.95....

Good Luck.....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009, 6:29 PM

Post #5 of 98 (7253 views)
Shortcut

Did you locate the chassis number? You'll find it as user 'shadetree' described it will be inside the back of the set written on a label stuck to on of the heat sinks (it's often written on a label on the back cover as well) -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

bogart219
User

Jul 8, 2009, 10:58 AM

Post #6 of 98 (7243 views)
Shortcut

Hey Fellows, thanks for all the replies. Here is my actual problem. I have a Zenith SL3285BG 32" set. I repaired some bad solder joints on the crt board (on neck of the tube). In my stupidity, I tried to take the board out first and destroyed the focus/screen pots attached to the flyback. A guy on another site said I could use a external focus\screen control from a rca ctc169 chassis and wire that in. I was inquiring about chassis number because some guy on craigs list is giving away a 27" rca tv. I was hoping it had a chassis # from ctc130 to ctc169.(supposedly these all used external focus/screen assemblies. Thanks for your time!

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 8, 2009, 4:38 PM

Post #7 of 98 (7237 views)
Shortcut

Good luck with that.
Stand well back when you plug it in.Wink

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 8, 2009, 6:20 PM

Post #8 of 98 (7234 views)
Shortcut

bogart219;.....

Who in their right mind starts a thread asking for a "RCA" focus/screen block THEN says its for a "Zenith SL3285BG 32" set ???....Unsure

Crossing parts like this is asking for a disaster,guaranteed!!!....Crazy

I have NEVER in my 45 years of experience heard of switching parts of this type from one brand to another radically different brand....
Even IF it was the SAME brand , putting a focus/screen block (or flybacks etc) from a 27 inch TV to a 32 inch TV is just plain absurd!!!

What you should be doing is to get a bonefide Zenith replacement....
Why risk disaster????

Later....Ron.M....Cool

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 8, 2009, 7:57 PM

Post #9 of 98 (7231 views)
Shortcut

Get the 27" and sit a foot closer to the set.Angelic

bogart219
User

Jul 8, 2009, 10:08 PM

Post #10 of 98 (7229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Chassis number? [In reply to] Can't Post

Guess I got some bad adviceMad

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 8, 2009, 10:39 PM

Post #11 of 98 (7226 views)
Shortcut

bogart219;.....

Guess I got some bad advice.

EEyuppP!!!...Unsure.....

A guy on another site said I could use a external focus\screen control from a rca ctc169 chassis and wire that in.

It would be just "nice as pie" if you would let me/us know who/where you got that info from....Please....Pretty please...Pretty please with sugar on top....Laugh....

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....

bogart219
User

Jul 8, 2009, 11:09 PM

Post #12 of 98 (7223 views)
Shortcut

Hey Ron,
Let me clarify something. I had my zenith with just a blue picture then after an hour the picture would be fine.
Guys over at badcaps.net forum told me to check for bad solder joints. I found some on two big resistors on the crt board on the neck of the tube. I thought I would disconnect the board and work on it on my workbench. There was that big red wire that went from the crt board down to the focus/screen control on the back of the flyback. Like an idiot I tried to discconect that wire and broke the little ceramic Hfocus/screen board in half. Thats why I was looking for something to put in its place. Here is what this guy suggested.
"Oooowww. No need to pop off the cover for focus/screen box. And no need to disconnect wires, just the necessary wires plugs to disconnect to get chassis freed enough to flip over to see.

Time for another focus/screen assembly. Try to search around, see if you can get a spare similar zenith part and transfer the ceramic board over to yours. Bit tricky to heat solder to get wire off the board. Or find a RCA CTC169 chassis and take the focus/screen assembly (snapped onto the flyback and is seperate) and hang it on somewhere else and route wire from flyback transformer (few KV on that) to this.

Cheers, Wizard

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 9, 2009, 12:32 AM

Post #13 of 98 (7219 views)
Shortcut

bogart219;....

Or find a RCA CTC169 chassis and take the focus/screen assembly (snapped onto the flyback and is seperate) and hang it on somewhere else and route wire from flyback transformer (few KV on that) to this.

Not good advice!!!...You run the risk of having High Voltage flying all over the place...

Time for another focus/screen assembly. Try to search around, see if you can get a spare similar zenith part and transfer the ceramic board over to yours.

Much better advice...
An exact replacement screen/focus block would be ideal....
However to my knowledge they are not available seperately...
They are usually part of the flyback....
My best advice to you would be to get the # (should be 95-???? for the part #) of the flyback & google it....Since the focus/screen assembly is part of the flyback you are only asking for trouble if & WHEN a sub , other than original , is used...
That flyback should not be that costly...

I went over to badcaps.net forum & read your thread....
My,My,MY, you are having a LOT of fun with this set aren't you....Laugh....

badcaps.net is primarily a computer help forum...
I'm not sure of their qualifications as TV techs....
Altho there is a forum for them...
I'm NOT putting them down....
You DID get some GOOD advice & help from some of them...
Wizard IS a TV tech & I'm more than a bit surprised he suggested you get a RCA focus/screen block....

THANK you for that VERY informative reply....Sly....
If I/we can be of any more help,just ask...OK....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 9, 2009, 12:33 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 9, 2009, 1:40 AM

Post #14 of 98 (7212 views)
Shortcut

Flyback...
http://www.astimag.com/.../astinumber=2779.htm
http://www.tristatemodule.com/...Detail-10399221.aspx

bogart219
User

Jul 9, 2009, 10:15 AM

Post #15 of 98 (7207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Chassis number? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ron, Thank you for taking the time reading it. jts, thanks for the links. I'll let you guys know how I made out.Smile

bogart219
User

Jul 9, 2009, 1:24 PM

Post #16 of 98 (7203 views)
Shortcut

I just ordered a flyback from tristate module. Will let you know how I made out. Thanks again for your help!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 10, 2009, 1:04 AM

Post #17 of 98 (7192 views)
Shortcut

bogart219;.....

I just ordered a flyback from tristate module. Will let you know how I made out.

Hmmmmm!!!....Verrry interesting!!!!....
I just clicked on that link & it says "Out Of Stock".....
& the other one for Asti shows no price & you have to call them for a price & availability....Hmmmmm....
Guess it'll be awhile.....

Good Luck....Sly...

Later....Ron.M.....Cool.....

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 10, 2009, 2:22 AM

Post #18 of 98 (7189 views)
Shortcut

Obtaining a new flyback appeared to be the best course of action.
Since bogart219 finally gave a model number, I could then research flyback number and pick out from resulting list a couple representative places he might try.
I've clicked on many a link where they claim to have an item "In Stock," only to be informed later that the item is "on backorder."Angelic
And then, of course, there are the places that only order the part once you've placed your order with them (Jobbers)Unsure

bogart219
User

Jul 10, 2009, 11:09 AM

Post #19 of 98 (7184 views)
Shortcut

I emailed them before placing the order and axed them if they had a flyback for my model #. They replied back that they had one in stock. We'll see.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 10, 2009, 10:33 PM

Post #20 of 98 (7177 views)
Shortcut

jts1957;....

Obtaining a new flyback appeared to be the best course of action.

I totally agree.....Especially after I saw what version the Zenith flyback is....NO WAY would I try using OR reccommending an RCA sub for it....

Since bogart219 finally gave a model number, I could then research flyback number and pick out from resulting list a couple representative places he might try.

I don't have a problem with any of this either....
What threw me for a loop was this:==>""I just ordered a flyback from tristate module. Will let you know how I made out.""

When I went to that link you as graciously provided,right there in big letters it said:==>..Out Of Stock"""

Then bogart219 said:==>..""I just ordered a flyback from tristate module,""
OK , what's a person to think???

Now he posts:==>.."" I emailed them before placing the order and axed them if they had a flyback for my model #. They replied back that they had one in stock. We'll see.""
Yes, we will....
I hope this explains my post....Sly....

I've clicked on many a link where they claim to have an item "In Stock," only to be informed later that the item is "on backorder..

WAY too many times for me also...Oh yes & they have your money while you wait & wait & wait.....

jts1957: Best regards....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....

bogart219
User

Jul 11, 2009, 11:38 AM

Post #21 of 98 (7166 views)
Shortcut

Got this yesterday, You were right!

"We had an error in our inventory regarding the 95-4134-07 flyback, and unfortunately it's going to cause a slight delay in getting the item to you. We should have the item in two to three days, and once we receive it we will expedite the shipping to get it to you as quickly as possible. There will be no charge for the shipping, of course, since the mistake is ours. If you have any questions regarding the matter, please send me a return message or call me at 800-203-7484, extension 203.

We appreciate your business, and we thank you for your patience as we correct our error."

Waiting is no problem for me as long as my cc doesn't get billed till it ships. :)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 11, 2009, 4:53 PM

Post #22 of 98 (7163 views)
Shortcut

bogart219;.....

I'm not familiar with this company....They "may" be reputable.....I'm NOT saying they're not...But.....

"We had an error in our inventory regarding the 95-4134-07 flyback, and unfortunately it's going to cause a slight delay in getting the item to you.

A red flag just popped up....

We should have the item in two to three days, and once we receive it we will expedite the shipping to get it to you as quickly as possible.

Another red flag popped up.....

There will be no charge for the shipping, of course, since the mistake is ours.

If they mean it , my red flags are bogus...

Waiting is no problem for me as long as my cc doesn't get billed till it ships.

This is where I have huge concerns....Could be a BIG red flag.....Make SURE they do NOT bill you till shipment....
I AM SUPER paranoid about using my cc on the internet....
Good luck with your transaction.....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 11, 2009, 4:56 PM)

bogart219
User

Jul 17, 2009, 10:57 PM

Post #23 of 98 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Hey ron,
Well I got the flyback today from tristate module. They shipped it next day air. I talked to a gentleman there named Ed Corn. He delivered! I soldered the new flyback in. I got sound now but still no Raster (no high voltage). The bridge in the power supply section, I got about 117 volts on the ac side and about 168 volts on the dc side. I'm trying to find out where I'm losing it. Hard to trace anything with out a schematic. Would I have sound if the horizontal output transistor was bad ?Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 18, 2009, 12:21 AM

Post #24 of 98 (7137 views)
Shortcut

bogart219;....

Well I got the flyback today from tristate module. They shipped it next day air. I talked to a gentleman there named Ed Corn. He delivered! I soldered the new flyback in.

Absolutely EXCELLENT!!!

Would I have sound if the horizontal output transistor was bad ?

NO.....If the Horiz out was shorted the TV would shut down or not start up...

I got about 117 volts on the ac side and about 168 volts on the dc side.

That indicates that the Horiz out is not getting drive...
Power at the 168 volt source in a working Horiz out circuit should be around 140 volts...
Check the driver transformer for bad pc connections.....
Also , check the driver transister for base & collector voltages....

Give me a day or so to locate a manual for your TV...May need it...
See if you can locate a 9-xxxx number on the main board & post it..PLEASE....Should be on a small white label....

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 18, 2009, 12:23 AM

Post #25 of 98 (7135 views)
Shortcut

Some sets do have sound whether they have HV or not. Does HOT have collector B-Plus?

EDIT: Ron, He's talking at the "bridge" (Raw B-Plus).

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 18, 2009, 12:26 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)